Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Let's Talk Refrigerators...

>

MeMimi

Let's Talk Refrigerators...
Old 07-06-2016, 06:13 PM

I'm getting all new kitchen appliances. The one appliance with too many options is the fridge! I have your standard top freezer, bottom fridge right now.

Any suggestions? Or things you didn't like or live about yours? French doors? Bottom freezer? Side by side?

I'm probably going between a Whirlpool or Samsung.... any advice on that?

MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

Refrigerator
Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 PM

My dream refrigerator (that wasn't available 15 years ago when we built our house) is one with French doors on top and a freezer in the bottom that pulls out like a drawer.

15 years ago French doors had JUST come out and there were issues with the seals where the "T" (the fridge doors and freezer meeting spot) was. Also, most freezers on the bottom were also doors and not drawers.

I have a side by side and frequently have issues with fitting large (wide) items in the fridge. A wider fridge shelf is on my list!

A water/ice dispenser is a must. I love mine and drink far more water than I used to before this one.

Good luck - think about what you put in both the refrigerator and freezer and you'll find the one that's right for you.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

suzyteach

There have been
Old 07-06-2016, 06:50 PM

many negative review here on PT about Samsung refrigerators. I don't think it is what Samsung does best.

I have a Kenmore (3 years old) bottom freezer, French door fridge, and I really like it! We got the water/ice in the door, but most don't have that. My DH really likes crushed ice, so it was a good option for us (I have heard that in-door ice/water are very repair prone - so far, so good with us).

Complaints I've heard about side-by-side is that the refrigerator is very narrow, so you can't get pizza boxes, and big things like that in.

Good luck!
suzyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

French door, bottom freezer
Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 PM

This is the most important advance in appliances in history. Okay, hyperbolic, but I love mine. We got a Frigidaire. As far as Samsung, our television and washer/dryer are those. We were going to get a Samsung refrigerator, but the Frigidaire was on sale. Plus, we wanted white and they didn't have a white one that we could get as soon as we needed. The French door and bottom freezer are the best. No food gets lost on bottom shelves. There is a ton of freezer space. We were going to keep our old fridge, but when we saw how much storage was in the new one, we let the delivery guys haul the old one away (it was probably on its last legs - making funky sounds). So, brandwise, I have no recommendations. But you can tell what my recommendation is for style.
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 07-06-2016, 07:18 PM

Love my Samsung. Bought it because we love our Samsung washer and dryer. Only problem we've had so far was delivery. It took 3 trips to our house before Best But would actually bring it in and hook it up. Will NEVER again buy anything from Best Buy that is too big for me to carry out of the store. OOS! Sorry the picture is sideways.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
mes is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 PM

The five door French door with pull out freezer and counter depth!! Counter depth is my biggest, most important qualification! I hate fridges that stick out!
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

crazy4catz

Old 07-06-2016, 07:35 PM

I have not heard good things about Samsung appliances. We have a side by side GE. This is the second one we've had. My parents had the same one, too. We use our old one in our garage. Love this refrigerator.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
crazy4catz is offline   Reply With Quote

Soliera

Next one - french doors
Old 07-06-2016, 07:47 PM

I currently have a Samsung side by side. I agree with what other people have said about the narrow shelf width in the fridge section. The Freezer side is too small. The ice maker takes up a lot of room.

Ours looks a lot like crazy4catz' one except in the fridge door we have a small door which opens to a section which holds the milk and juices. I supposed you could keep milk and sliced bread in there also. This means you don’t have to open the whole door to get those things.

I want a fridge with a French door and bottom slide out freezer next time. Having said that we remodelled our kitchen in 2009 and the fridge hasn’t missed a beat since.

Last edited by Soliera; 07-06-2016 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: Spelling!!!
Soliera is offline   Reply With Quote

new1stgrader

Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM

We just ordered a Kenmore French door counter depth fridge. It has door in door so you can get things without opening the fridge all the way up. I think it'll come in handy with our kids. We did learn in our search that LG makes the Kenmore fridge. There are so many choices!
new1stgrader is offline   Reply With Quote

mes

Old 07-06-2016, 09:33 PM

Love my Samsung. Bought it because we love our Samsung washer and dryer. Only problem we've had so far was delivery. It took 3 trips to our house before Best But would actually bring it in and hook it up. Will NEVER again buy anything from Best Buy that is too big for me to carry out of the store.

mes is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

Mine is not French door
Old 07-07-2016, 01:17 AM

But I definitely changed to freezer on the bottom. Best decision ever! Having the healthy stuff at my ankles in the crisper drawers was not helping. Now everything is waist high at least.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

fridge
Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 AM

I have the same Samsumg that MES has. I love the middle drawer. You can change the temp so it's a freezer or a fridge. The bottom has good space and sections for food. I love my Samsung appliances. I don't think I ever posted a pic of my new kitchen. I may do that
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Patticake1300

Love mine...
Old 07-07-2016, 03:20 AM

I have French door,freezer on the bottom!! My old refrigerator, which is now in my garage, also had freezer on the bottom~~~best feature ever is the freezer on the bottom!
Patticake1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

Old 07-07-2016, 05:36 AM

We recently bought an LG French door/freezer on the bottom and absolutely love it! We opted not to get the ice maker/water dispenser in the door because we wanted to save the space inside. We had just your standard freezer on top model and were not used to water in the door,,so it wasn't a big deal to us. Our freezer makes plenty of ice (don't think we could ever run out) and our tap water is good.

Definitely get a freezer on the bottom, rather than the side by side!
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

We have a Samsung side by side.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:10 AM

I'm not in love with it. I would like to have gotten the freezer on the bottom because there's not enough room in either the fridge side or the freezer side. the drawers are made of cheap plastic which breaks easily. Expensive to replace. The ice maker gets clogged if you don't dispense ice for a day or so, and then it shoots ice all over the floor when it unclogs. No way out of that. You have to open the freezer door to unclog it, and then the ice explodes everywhere.
We had a whirlpool before the Samsung. We liked it much better, but it wasn't available immediately when our last one died.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 PM

I just got one that has french doors, a huge refrigerated drawer, plus a freezer drawer. It also has the "second" door that opens just for drinks or condiments without opening the whole fridge. It's the most amazing fridge ever! I love the refrigerated drawer for stuff we use a lot because you can see and grab everything really easily. I love the french doors because you can fit a pizza or platter or something wide. The extra door for drinks is nice - especially with kids that want to open the fridge over and over and over - but it's not a necessity. Overall it's pretty fantastic!
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote