Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Has anyone home-cooked dog food? LONG

>

JulieG04

Has anyone home-cooked dog food? LONG
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 AM

Backstory: Older dog has advanced melanoma (diagnosed in June), we are keeping her comfortable and she is doing well for now. Older dog is 13, was quite overweight (black lab), weighing 123 in November, but down to 104 with reduced calories. Younger dog (a spry 10 year old) has always been slender (close to skinny) and not a big eater. Since May, she has been picky about her food, refuses dog food at times, and finally, refused dog food altogether. She went to the vet 10 days ago, and based on lab work was diagnosed with some type of cancer (no xrays or invasive procedures yet).

She was down almost 10+ pounds since her December vet visit (and frankly, she doesn't have 10 pounds to spare -- 49 pounds, now 38 pounds) and presenting with some rear leg weakness. Vet gave her gabapentin for the leg weakness (has helped immensely already) and a steroid to stimulate her appetite. We have discovered that her appetite needs *no* stimulation when we feed her: boiled hamburger, turkey, chicken, rice, peas, green beans, carrots, etc. I have given her no steroids (yet) and she eats everything that we give her when it is "people food" that we make for her. (We jokingly say she faked her lab results to get the food she wanted). We are encouraged by how well she is doing since her visit to the vet and are willing to keep preparing her food (her sister is not jealous and she does get tastes of the food, too).

Finally--any tips on preparing somewhat large batches of food? I can easily prepare large batches of rice and chicken ahead of time, but I'm trying to figure out how much to feed her, especially since we want to put some weight on her and that's the opposite of what we've worked on with her sister. Keeping my fingers crossed for PT advice! TIA!!

JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

ASAM

Yes
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM

When my dog refused dog food due to kidney failure I home cooked. I looked at a number of recipes online. It was a few years ago but I remember using chicken, chicken broth, frozen green beans, and I think gizzards (yuck). I cooked it in the crock pot on Sunday and stored it in containers for the week. If I remember correctly this recipe was low phosphorous which is what was good for kidney failure. Maybe you could search for a home recipe for a dog with cancer.

Oops-It was chicken livers and not gizzards

Last edited by ASAM; 07-18-2016 at 08:12 AM..
ASAM is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

dog food
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 AM

My in-laws have always made chicken livers and and rice for their dog. They cook a large batch of the chicken livers up and put it in small containers, so then they just make some rice and stir it in. The dog will eat it cold but they insist on heating it up.
Beware if you cook the chicken livers - the house stinks!
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieG04

Oh, crockpot, duh!
Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM

I know the chicken livers are good for her, but I agree about the stink! I will definitely use the crockpot with some broth--we though about boiling a whole chicken and just pulling the skin off and pulling it apart to make a batch, too. I have enough trouble planning my own dinners!!
JulieG04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Patticake1300

Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM

I have made some homemade dog food also. I have used ground turkey, carrots, green beans, sweet potatoes, eggs and hemp hearts (there are omegas and calcium in the hearts which the dogs need). I usually mix it all together and place it in large muffin cups and bake. Each "muffin" is enough for one meal. I bag it up and take out of the refrigerator/freezer as needed.

Good luck!

Patticake1300 is offline   Reply With Quote