Help

BusyBoard

Student Teacher

>

mes

Student Teacher
Old 11-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently hosting a student teacher and need your thoughts. She is in week 3 of 8 weeks and today when it was time for her to teach her lesson she wasn't there. I asked my aide if she knew where she was and was told "she told me she was leaving the building for an hour." I was also told what time the message had been delivered so I made a mental one of when she should be back and moved forward. My aide, as well as myself, were confused as to why she didn't say anything to me but just want to make it clear that this is not an aide issue. The problem I had was there were no plans, no work, nothing. I went ahead and taught a much needed math lesson, more of a filling a gap lesson. Once the lesson was over I expected her to walk in and teach the last subject of the day but nope, she didn't show. About 10 minutes after dismissal she strolled in! I asked her what was going on and she said she "just needed a break because things were just too much" so she went to take a 30 minute walk and lost track of time. She said she was headed back and her school called her and kept her on the phone for an hour. I did talk to her some about it but now I'm feeling less than sure she will be there when she should be. Tomorrow I fill out her weekly eval and obviously this will impact it. Also, I plan on contacting her supervisor. Any thoughts on how I can move forward without things being too awkward? I'm really not good with conflict, UGGHH!!!

mes is offline   Reply With Quote

TheGr8Catsby

Old 11-03-2016, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

She left the building without a legitimate reason? This is so bizarre to me. I definitely think the university should be notified.
TheGr8Catsby is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 11-03-2016, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Seriously?! What does she plan to do when she has her own classroom and 'things are just too much'??!! I would definitely let her supervising teacher know that she walked out on her duties, and I would let her know in no uncertain terms that that behavior is not acceptable. People never cease to amaze me!!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 11-03-2016, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There are days when I would love to go for a thirty minute walk and lose track of time. Seriously. But I'm a professional with children in my care, so I take a deep breath and keep on keeping on. If she can't do that at a time when she needs to teach one lesson, she needs a career rethink.

The university definitely needs to know.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 11-04-2016, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You sound like you're going to do exactly what you should be doing. And she sounds like an annoying flake.

Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

SwissTeacher2

Old 11-04-2016, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I almost had a little sympathy for her as she is new and it can be overwhelming at first. However, the fact that she didn't discuss leaving with you cancels out any sympathy I would have had. I DO think you can overcome anxiety as it pertains to being a teacher. However, it's harder to overcome being a flake and not making sure you're covered.
SwissTeacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

red flag
Old 11-04-2016, 02:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry for sounding mean and I don't mean to sound the alarm but this is like skipping school. It's like you don't leave your job in the middle of the day expecting someone to cover your behind. And then later, if this ST starts to bawl her eyes out because of such and such excuse, it would appear that they're trying to weasel their way out of the uncomfortable situation. I don't think that this ST is cut out to be a teacher because this person neglected her first and primary duty and that is with her student. Clearly, this is an act of neglect. Drop her and talk with her advisor. No ST I know had ever done this sort of thing. Lost track of time? What kind of an excuse is that?!
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Nope nope nope
Old 11-04-2016, 03:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This does not fly!!!
I would contact her supervisor ASAP.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 11-04-2016, 03:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This is a serious violation. You can't just "walk away" from school. She should be written up for it. Remember, you are the final gatekeeper. If she "passes" student teaching, she will most likely end up with a class of her own. Our children deserve better.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 11-04-2016, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

In all my years if having student teachers I never heard of such a thing! They are usually all about being there and chomping at the bit to teach some lessons. After discussing this with her, I would contact her supervisor immediately.

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

That's crazy!
Old 11-04-2016, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow! Red flags all over. We were told explicitly to never leave campus before the day was over except on seminar day. (At my college we had a 2.5 hour student teacher meeting every week that required us to leave campus 15 minutes before the bell.) if my supervisor heard of such behavior, we would have been released from the program.

On the other hand, I had a really bad day once while in my student teaching placement. My cooperating teacher set an egg timer for 15 minutes, and told me to walk the playground till it went off. During planning period that day we discussed stress relief tactics to use mid lesson. That was really helpful.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Just One Thought...
Old 11-04-2016, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

How much do you know about your student teacher's personal life?

Is it possible there is a family member, friend, or even the student teacher in trouble or dealing with health concerns?

Is there a boyfriend problem?

Does she display anxiety?

Perhaps this teacher's college supervisor can speak with her and give you some insight.

I would also want to know who at the college she was speaking to for an hour.

Yes, she did not handle this correctly, but I believe you need more info.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-04-2016, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You're all so much kinder than I am. If my student teacher left for well over an hour without telling me, I would fire her. Also, if she were teaching a lesson in my class, I'd require the lesson plans 24 hours before she was going to teach the lesson.

Quote:
her school called her and kept her on the phone for an hour.
Really? REALLY? I'd question this heavily. Who would call her in the middle of a school day and keep her on the phone for an hour? If she thinks Student Teaching is overwhelming, there's no way she can handle a regular classroom.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Student teacher issue
Old 11-04-2016, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I totally agree with those who say RED FLAG! And I totally disagree with anyone who says you need more information. No, you don't. You cannot just walk out of a job, especially with a specific responsibility looming. What she did was not acceptable. It really doesn't matter why.

I've had a lot of student teachers. The most recent one I had didn't leave, but 'lost' all her materials, and was never prepared. NEVER. I ended up having her removed from my room and failing her. I found out afterward she was failing all of her university classes too. She was not cut out for teaching.

Contact the university supervisor immediately. I would also tell her that if she flakes again, she's out. No more chances.

It's not worth the stress to you, and it's not doing her any favors to give her multiple 'chances.' That's not how the world works.
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 11-04-2016, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I agree with those who say this is a huge red flag. I'm assuming she knew she had a lesson to teach. It sounds like she was not really feeling compelled to return and she didn't make an effort to contact you.

Quote:
About 10 minutes after dismissal she strolled in! What the heck?? I asked her what was going on and she said she "just needed a break because things were just too much" Um... that's what you're signing up for so she went to take a 30 minute walk ditching responsibility for 30 minutes?? and lost track of time. What?!? Obviously she wasn't really concerned with the fact that she was leaving you high and dry She said she was headed back and her school called her and kept her on the phone for an hour. Again.. WHAT?!? What did her school talk to her about for an hour when "they" most likely know that she is in a teaching placement??
I supervise someone who has not been fulfilling her obligations. I really hate conflict as well. But I had to do something. I put it in writing and just stated the facts. When you talk to the supervisor and the student teacher, you need to state the facts without getting emotional about it. The more straightforward you are in stating the problems and stating your expectations, the easier it will be for you all to move to the next step. Also be clear with both her and her supervisor about where you draw the line (i.e., at what point will you just say "This isn't working, we need to stop").

When I was student teaching, I was having some issues with my bf. I wasn't as responsible as I should have been on a few occasions. My supervising teacher basically had a straightforward conversation with me about what I needed to change. It kicked my butt back into gear, but it was done in a way that was not super awkward. It was just factual and I did a better job. Of course, that behavior was actually so opposite of the way I typically am and have always been, so it was a good reminder. If your student teacher has a habit of being this way in all parts of her life, then it probably won't be an easy fix. But you still do your part.

Good luck- let us know how it goes!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Oh wow, I can just go for a walk??
Old 11-05-2016, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

How did I never know this? How have I taught all these years and never known this??

Seriously, this is very, very weird. I would tell the university I didn't want this ST anymore. If she's losing it this early, what will she be like by the middle of December?

Who just leaves a job and goes on a walk??? Where did she ever get the idea that was okay??

I would say goodbye to this one. Really. I would tell the university that I was no longer interested in being her CT.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

I just told my husband about this
Old 11-05-2016, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

He says the girl has discovered that she does not want to be a teacher and doesn't know how to tell the school. He says she wasn't on the phone to the university. She was on the phone to her parents, trying to figure out what else she could do with this degree. He said she is freaking out because she made it all the way through the program and has discovered it's not what she wants and has discovered that she is not able to do this, like a med student who makes it all the way to the operating room, only to discover that she can't take the sight of blood.
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote