Help

Special Education

Does it ever get easier?

>

ST13

Does it ever get easier?
Old 11-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does teaching special Ed ever get easier or more comfortable ? This is my second year and I had a grade switch this year. I am having a really hard time, I don't have as much support as I did last year so I pretty much feel like I am on my own and just trying to stay afloat. There's still so much I don't know. And my caseload this year is challenging, I'm stretched very thin. I sometimes dread going to work in the morning because I am so stressed and anxious that I am not doing the right thing or am not doing a good job or don't have enough time. I know it takes adjustment because it's new but I don't particularly like this feeling. Of course there are good days too, but lately there haven't been that many. Does it ever get easier?

ST13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 11-17-2016, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It does get easier as far as feeling confident with paperwork and good methods for teaching the kids. I've found that I constantly am thinking of ways to streamline and be more efficient. Once I develop a good goal that can apply to most kids, I put it in a word document so that I can copy, paste, and change pronouns. Before you know it, you'll have a whole collection of good goals, etc. That helps paperwork go faster. I tend to open my IEPs early and do all the "easy" parts so then when I actually go to do the present levels and goals it frees me up to focus.

Try to think of ways to streamline your progress monitoring of goals. I look for timed things I can do that are quick and easy to manage yet still beneficial.

I keep stock of the long post it notes with lines, and keep an ever growing to do list right in front of my keyboard that I look at every single time I'm at my desk. Top priority things go at the top and lower priority things go at the bottom so my list grows towards the middle. Literally every time I sit down, I look at it and try to tackle or start to tackle one thing. And literally every single thing that pops into my head that is a "to do" goes on that list, no matter how trivial. It's such joy to cross something off.

You've got to make the most of the time you have. If you need to close the door during morning or planning time so people don't come in and bother you then so be it.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

I like to think so...
Old 11-17-2016, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know it did when I was doing elementary grade levels. The last two school years I've done MS/HS EBD self contained. It is a different animal altogether.

But, even at that, it is getting easier... I am finding that I am streamlining data collection, I am also realizing what I can skimp on and what I need to reinforce. I am realizing too that some things can wait and other things cannot.

I try to get better at using not only my plan/prep time but all the small seconds or minutes each day.

Emotionally, I am not sure it ever gets better.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Lottalove said it well. As far as doing the actual work, being streamlined, and getting things done during work hours I have gotten WAY better over the years. I used to come into school and spend 8-10 hours every Sunday prepping for the week as well as staying past contract time during the week. Now it's rare that I stay longer than 15-30 minutes past contract time and it's literally been years since I've worked on a weekend (I'm on year 7 of teaching).

That said, I haven't felt that it gets easier "emotionally" either. In fact, it almost feels like it gets harder every year in that aspect. The mandates/expectations at the state and district level get even more ridiculous and unattainable each year. When my students are 3-4 years behind and I'm being told they can and should be performing on grade level as well as passing state tests, and we're gong to get them there by pushing in and teaching grade level content only, it's obviously very frustrating. I feel like I get more and more frustrated with "the system" every year.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 11-20-2016, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have posted multiple posts throughout this board. They run the gambit, one day I am happy in my job, the next I am looking to resign. I am 2 months into my first teaching position and I am so up and down, my husband thinks I am developing depression.

I am with you in wondering if it gets easier. I sure hope so because I don't want to switch careers after I worked so hard to get here.

My biggest challenge right now is my staff. They cause me so much stress and anxiety. They constantly need my attention and always distract me from what I am doing. I feel like I Cannot even begin to teach my students until I have control over my staff, and that makes me feel like I am failing at my job!

hoping to hang in there with the OP!!

Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Squirrelly1

Old 12-05-2016, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My second year was so stressful that I actually resigned at one point and then rescinded! I am an elementary sped teacher working in inclusion. I was placed in three different grade levels with no common planning time with the 5 different teachers I co-taught with. This year I do have common planning time, although my caseload seems to get larger and larger each year. The hardest part for me isn't the work load, but the different personalities that I have to work with, staff and other teachers!! So, to answer your question, my third year is definitely better than the first two, although it isn't necessarily easy!
Squirrelly1 is offline   Reply With Quote