Help

BusyBoard

"interesting" ways to practice math?

>

tia

"interesting" ways to practice math?
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

i like to spice things up (ha ha...) when students are practicing math processes. some of the activities we do:

--"play" Scoot (go from desk to desk where a new problem is given--today they flipped the problem card up to see the answer--if they got it wrong, they had to rework until correct.

--Work Around the Room (hang problems up around perimeter of the room--students move around--really just a standing version of scoot!)

--check your answer by moving (no clever name)--i just like to get kids to be a little more active--kids have a worksheet and then go find the folded paper around the room with that problem number and look inside to see if their answer is correct

--yesterday i made 2 worksheets A/B and then wrote out the work and answers for each--gave partners one of the sheets with his/her partner's answers--they had to tell each other if answers were right, and give them another chance--if not, they were to show each other how to get the right answer. BTW: we're working on fraction operations

--i have had Tic Tac Toe boards; i've given them X number of problems with answers up on board--if they couldn't find answer, rework, still couldn't, find someone to help

--once last year (lots of time involved--yikes!) i put all the answers on little post-its (enough for each kid!) and they had to go around collecting them and sticking them to the correct problem squares--i also had distractor answers.

--See the Expert: once you complete a problem, see the teacher--teacher decides if you are expert (got it right). teacher puts names on board next to different problem #'s--kids struggling with a problem go see one of the people listed for that problem (Highlight different problem numbers on papers so kids start in different places.)

--do and check: do a problem, go find 2 people that can corroborate your answer--no one can? or only 1 can? you did it wrong, figure out why

they are encouraged to help each other and work together--they often work in groups and pairs

i need an idea for tomorrow's practice. what have you got? thanks in advance

tia is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-01-2016, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really like QR activities. The kids d the problem and then check them using QR codes.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 12-01-2016, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love the ones you already do! I'm going to print this thread so I remember them.

1) You could give individual problems, with pairs having the same answer. (For a really simple example, one kid gets 6x4 and another gets 3x8.) After they figure out their answer, they have to find the other person with the same answer. Those don't have a match check each other's work to find the error.

2) Everyone has the the same sheet of problems and an one answer taped to their back. After doing the problems, they have to line up in order - whoever had the answer to #1 is first, and so on. (Similar to one of yours above, you could have half the kids work from the end, in case not everyone finishes.)

3) Put lots problems on index cards, and have several answers on the board. (More than one problem can have the same answer.) When students have solved their card, they tape it under the correct answer, and take another.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Thank you!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll be using some of these ideas. Thanks for sharing!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

cmjd2010

I Have, Who Has Game
Old 12-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I like to play I Have, Who Has? You can find blank templates online. My students really enjoy it!

cmjd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

ooooh, good ideas!
Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks, friends!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

Old 12-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students thank you!
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

milaura85

Task Cards
Old 12-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I put out a set of task cards (enough for the whole class and more). I put the answers on the back of the card. Students choose a card, take it back to their desk and solve it. They self-check their answer. If they got it correct, the write their name on the card. If they got it incorrect, they find their error and DO NOT write their name on the card. They then choose another card.

At the end of the activity, I choose a random card and whoever's name is on that card (usually 3-4 people) get a ticket (or candy or whatever your reward system is).
milaura85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Patticake1300

Speed Dating
Old 12-05-2016, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have used the Kagan strategy "Inner/Outer" circle and the kids LOVE it. It's almost like speed dating..lol. I have the Outer group get their whiteboards and the inner group gets the other materials (like dry erase markers). So much fun!!
Patticake1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gigi814

Old 12-05-2016, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I like to incorporate craftivities into my math lessons. It's more fun for the students and their work looks cute hanging up in the room. It's also an easy way for me to take an art grade.

Gigi814 is offline   Reply With Quote