Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

I seriously look like death warmed over :(

>

eliza4one

I seriously look like death warmed over :(
Old 02-04-2017, 07:02 PM

Ever since I got out of the hospital, I have not gotten back to "normal". I often wonder if I ever will.

I am losing my hair due to the meds I am on for my condition. This is devastating to me, because I have always had thick, curly hair that always received so many compliments.

My face is gaunt. I now have bags under my eyes! (Any recommendations on products that would help in this area would be GREATLY appreciated).

I lack energy to do anything but teach. It takes so much out of me that I am often in bed and asleep by 7:00 - 7:30. Talk about feeling old!

The leg I had surgery on still hurts! So, I don't walk normal! One student asked me why I walked like a penguin! I couldn't help but laugh, though. Kids are so honest!

I do my best everyday to just "let it go" (I used to be VERY vain!). Somedays, though, it is hard.

Two different people (at school) have come up to me this past week and commented on "aging". THAT has never happened before! It just reinforces how awful I look.

Aging is difficult, but aging due to illness has really knocked me for a loop! I do wonder if I will ever get back to where I was just a few short months ago. Maybe I won't and I will just have to learn to accept that (which I know I will, with time).

Thanks for listening! It helps just to get it all out!

I do have so much to be grateful for and most days, recognize that.

eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

PEPteach

Old 02-04-2017, 07:26 PM

I'm so sorry. You've been through so much lately. Do what you need to do to make yourself feel good - new outfit, new makeup, a manicure, etc., but I'm sure people also notice your fighting spirit!
PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-04-2017, 07:42 PM

You were very sick and are still on the mend. Give yourself time to heal. The best things you can do for yourself is as always eat healthy, exercise and get proper amounts of rest. Do whatever therapy you are supposed to do for your leg and try not to stress. Aging does stink but I think you will feel better as you heal.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-04-2017, 07:47 PM

As another who is "aging," remember that our recovery takes longer than when we were younger. You'll get there! (((Eliza)))) We're pulling for you.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-04-2017, 07:52 PM

Thank you, 3 wonderful, wise posters who just responded. I read your responses and they warmed my heart!

EllaKate

Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 PM

You've been through A LOT!!! Your body is still healing and teaching isn't easy on oneself as we all know.

Sounds like your body is telling you to rest if you're in bed by 7-7:30. It will take time but you'll get there.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 02-04-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Two different people (at school) have come up to me this past week and commented on "aging".
I'm punching them in the face with a snow shovel.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 02-04-2017, 09:29 PM

Recovery is hard, especially when you're doing a hard job like teaching. Good for you for going to bed as early as you can - sleep is so good for us when trying to heal. Keeping you in my thoughts.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

I haven't been as active on PT for a while
Old 02-04-2017, 09:51 PM

so I'm not sure what has gone on with you. From the other posts, it sounds as if you have weathered some pretty difficult times.

I am very impressed that you are teaching while still being on the mend. Meeting our students' needs even on a good day can be exhausting. I'm glad that you are getting your rest.

I wonder if you will feel better when it is warm, and you can just sit outside and soak up the sun's warmth for a bit.

I hope you will give yourself some time and then see how you feel about your appearance then.

Keep taking good care of you. (((hugs)))
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 02-04-2017, 10:04 PM

I am so sorry for the way you are feeling right now. Its tough. I have been through two cancer surgeries as well as chemo and radiation for breast cancer, so at least to a degree, I know how you feel. Have you talked with your doctor specifically about all of this to see if it will get better (maybe once your body is used to the meds things will start to improve)? Maybe a consult with your beautician to see what you can do as far as hair styles with your shorter, thinning hair, make-up, nails, etc. would be helpful.

((((HUGS))))

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

maui

Old 02-04-2017, 11:53 PM

eliza4one you are going through a lot but this too shall pass and you will soon feel better.Take care of yourself. Sending you best wishes for great health!
maui is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 02-05-2017, 05:10 AM

You have been going through some very serious medical issues within the past few months. I can understand kids saying something, but seriously those coworkers sound inconsiderate and rude. Truthfully, I find it amazing that you have the strength to even be back working. I am wishing you the very best and a full recovery.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

You're on the mend!
Old 02-05-2017, 05:22 AM

You were so very sick, of course you're going to look tired for awhile. Even for little bouts of things like the flu, people don't look like themselves for a while.

Be patient, and keep being smart about getting enough rest. None of us look our best when we are tired, and it was rude of people to say anything to you.

I remember you thought you'd have to take the rest of the year off due to your health, so let's celebrate that you are well enough to teach, even if it does wear you out. Being back at work is huge- it means you are getting back to normal. And I think you're beautiful, tired or not!

Prayers continue for your complete healing.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

magnolia

Hair/Makeup
Old 02-05-2017, 06:13 AM

Sorry you've been ill.

For your hair - go to the Nioxin website to determine which 3-product treatment you need. One of the factors is whether your hair is chemically treated. You can purchase the products at a reasonable prices (JCPenney).

Also take Biotin.

Talk to your stylist about a new cut or styling technique that will camouflage hair loss until it grows back in. Even parting your hair a bit differently can help. Look into volumizing products.

Go to the makeup counter and see what they recommended. A bit of makeup can work wonders. It may be a different formula/consistenc from what you're using now.

Take care of yourself.
magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Old 02-05-2017, 08:11 AM

You have had so much to recover from and it has only been a short while. Sometimes it even takes weeks just to recover from the flu! And I'm sure the stress from teaching isn't helping.

You are beautiful inside and out. Soon you will be glowing again!
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 02-05-2017, 08:18 AM

I am with ECGEN on the knocking people who make rude comments in the face with a shovel. I can't imagine someone doing that? What in the world were they thinking?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

WacSingLof

Old 02-05-2017, 09:35 AM

I agree with everyone...You've been through a lot and I'm amazed at the strength you're showing, back to teaching so soon...

Sending you a big hug and lots of positive vibes
WacSingLof is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-05-2017, 03:12 PM

eliza4one, firstly I want to say I don't know what kind of issue/surgery you've had, but I'm sure it's been tough and I wish you a very speedy recovery!

Now...& please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not lecturing here, but God makes us have experiences in life to humble us sometimes and think more about what's important in life if HE feels we need it. You said yourself that you used to be VERY vain, so looks and the outward appearance are obviously extremely important to you.

This may be God's way of telling you that there's more to life than thick, curly, shiny bouncy hair 24/7 or having the best outfits everyday, having to have that manicure/pedicure/botox treatment once a week, not skipping that wrinkle cream every night, or having to go to the gym and make sure we work out 2 hrs 7 days a week, etc., etc., etc. and if we don't get complimented by at least 3 people every single day, we feel like something's missing or something.

I'm not saying you're full of yourself and a total narcissist, but stop worrying so much about physical appearance so much because there's numerous, numerous people in the world who are much worse off and physical appearance is not what it's about. Society's way too, too focused on that anyway with the whole sex sells and no one's any good unless they're no older than 25, yada, yada. And before anyone says, only an average/ugly person would say that, I think I look pretty good, but I'm not vain or high maintenance personally.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
having to have that manicure/pedicure/botox treatment once a week, not skipping that wrinkle cream every night, or having to go to the gym and make sure we work out 2 hrs 7 days a week, etc., etc., etc. and if we don't get complimented by at least 3 people every single day, we feel like something's missing or something.
NOT me at all, lol. I don't go to the gym, I do bite my fingernails (never had a manicure), have only had 5 pedicures in my life, never had Botox, don't use anti-aging creams, rarely shave my legs in the winter, never have had my hair colored, eyebrows waxed, etc.... So, quite different from what you pictured.

Quote:
thick, curly, shiny bouncy hair 24/7 or having the best outfits everyday,
Yes...those 2 aspects ARE me. It took me years to love my thick, curly hair! Once I did, it became a source of pride. And I do take pride in what I wear, how I look.

Other than some of what you wrote, there is no doubt in my mind that I was missing a message or two during the year 2016.

The message, I believe, was a LITTLE of what you wrote, but also one of caring for myself, physically and mentally (not happening, still, since I now am working again). Caring for my family and home (who are still not being cared for since I had to go back to work (I didn't want to)). And, of the upmost importance, remembering who is ultimately in charge. Putting my faith before all else (which again, I struggle with due to the hours and demands of teaching).

I am not one who knows how to "balance" work and home and family and faith. So, guess which one is (again) taking precedence, as the expense of all else? I hope you figured out it is work.

The main reason I didn't want to go back to work (my FMLA was denied) was because I KNEW I wouldn't be able to make work 2nd or 3rd in my life. My Type A personality won't let me.

So, here I am exactly where I was at the beg. of the school year. Sacrificing myself, my health, my family, my home, all for work.

I have gotten a LITTLE better at letting things go, but not much.

To all who posted positive thoughts. THANK YOU! They mean the world to me.

I will get used to my new "normal", as everyone does/must do at some point in their life.

Thanks for letting me vent and get it all out.

Much to all of you! I mean that!

GraceKrispy

Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 PM

I"m sorry! It's tough to go through illnesses and all its ramifications (and, on top of that, regular old aging through life). (((hugs))) I'm guessing you look much worse to yourself than you do to others. Ignore those who make rude comments. They aren't worth your thoughts (and ECGen has her shovel to take care of those ). You've been through so much and focusing on the positive is a good strategy you have.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 PM

Eliza, what a lovely response. You are a class act.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 02-06-2017, 08:07 AM

Again, I wish you well with your recovery and yes, YOU are your priority with taking care of yourself because without our own good health and well-being, we can't do anything, not for loved ones, students, anyone.
MAsped is online now   Reply With Quote