Help

Special Education

I'm going to lose my mind

>

Haley23

I'm going to lose my mind
Old 10-23-2018, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've posted here many times about how frustrating it is that my school doesn't actually provide more/more intensive interventions for kids once they get an IEP. Due to doing everything in intervention blocks, there is literally NO difference between receiving "sped" services and "title 1" services. I bring this up constantly in MTSS meetings when people act like getting an IEP is going to fix everything.

We are required to have a SLO (student learning outcome) that is 40% of our evaluation. It's based on making one year's growth in one year's time, but it's on grade level DIBELS. So a kid who is far below grade level could be making that growth at their instructional level, but the only thing that counts is the grade level fluency passages. Obviously this is wildly unfair to me because if my kids were making that growth at grade level, they wouldn't qualify for an IEP in the first place.

And due to our set up, getting said IEP gets them absolutely nothing they weren't already getting except for paperwork attached to their name. We either need to do something differently or admit this is the intensity we're willing to provide and whatever growth they're making is acceptable for a student with a disability.

So I had my beginning of the year meeting today with my P to discuss my SLO goal. She asked if there was anything else I wanted to share about it. I said something along the lines of, "I know I bring this up a lot, but I just feel it's really important..." P literally acted like she had no idea this was happening .

She literally said something like, "Wait, you mean the kids with IEPs aren't getting a triple dip? We really need to talk about this." Then she acted all surprised that I didn't have extra time in my schedule outside of the intervention blocks. The intervention blocks take all day. She's very familiar with the schedule. But sure, I've been in two places at once this whole time .

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 10-24-2018, 02:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why is everyone so dumb?? I feel exactly like you but for different reasons.

At my school, each teacher writes their own SLO based on what is, in their view, a reason ambitious level for a student to reach, and the principal approves SLOs separately. There isnít some ďset in stoneĒ standard all kids must reach. Your school sounds like itís not that way. Iím actually jealous of people who can write their own SLOs because I have to depend on only state test scores because of the grade levels I teach. With a SLO I could write it so they would definitely pass.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

newbie17

Old 11-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear you Haley! I've got a referral right now that I'm fighting to keep out of sped because this child does not need an IEP. The child is barely a grade level behind and all their testing came back as average. My contention is this child needs a 504 so they can get some accommodations and give them some time with our interventionists.

What bothers me is all the literacy teachers and I are trained in the same program, which should be an intervention program, but the school insists on using it whole group . The lit teachers are using it in their classrooms so this child is getting the program. If they put this child in sped they will be pulled out of the amazing environment the gen ed teacher has provided (child has a fantastic teacher) to receive the same program they are already getting...but I'm about 20 lessons behind the gen ed teachers because, well, it's sped. Sped would be a step back for this poor baby and probably impede the growth they are making.

You're so right that others think getting an IEP is the magic step that will "fix" these kids. As limited as I am in what I teach this year I'm not doing much for anyone, other than the kids that have already started the program I teach. I'm a glorified interventionist and it's insane.

If I could find a way to make a career out of doing traveling PD to help admins and gen ed teachers understand exactly what the sped classroom is like, I would quit my job tomorrow!
newbie17 is offline   Reply With Quote