Help

Special Education

Work from class?

>

checkerjane

Work from class?
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do your higher students bring work from class? I have about five students who are more than capable of doing the work their peers are doing, they just need additional guidance from me. Didn’t know if this was a thing, though. :/

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 10-28-2018, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iíve definitely seen this before. This sounds like a perfect opportunity for inclusion/coteaching. Is that possible?
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-28-2018, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Due to the way we're set up, I don't do this, but yes, it certainly happens elsewhere. At my first school, the teachers really wanted to send work with the kids for me to help with. I didn't really like that structure. I felt like I was being used as a tutoring service rather than as a highly qualified teacher that could develop my own lessons.

Maybe the way it was presented was just kind of insulting too...I'd go pick up the kids and they'd say, "Did you have something planned? Because Johnny needs help with this worksheet..." Yeah, I was just going to bring them back to my room with no plan . I guess I might feel differently if it was something the teacher and I were really working on teaching together that was planned out ahead of time.

I could see getting behind something where the kids are working on a long term project, and I do a mini lesson on some aspect of the project they're struggling with and then we work on that aspect, rather than just having them bring the project to work on in my room. That's just me though. If truly all they need is someone to provide some guidance and prodding with grade level work, I'd start questioning why a para couldn't do that.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

I am in the upper grades
Old 10-28-2018, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

6th -12th grades. We do this as "Reading Support" (but not so much in the area of math.) It might be on the students IEP as Study Skills or Reading Support either one. I "teach" reading with an emphasis on informational text and text features. This especially true for the content areas of Science and Social Studies/History. (Since you can't have a disability in 'Science' or 'social studies'...)

They are reading for comprehension, following multistep directions, identifying main ideas, finding details within the text, working on their writing skills, and so forth. Generally, I would think that if they have math minutes on the IEP, and still have math in the gen ed room, you might consider it at least occasionally.

Like Haley said in her post, it is mainly in how it is presented. I am all about supporting the kids, the gen ed teacher is secondary. If I can still teach the required skills, the medium can be more flexible...
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

checkerjane

Old 10-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No, co-teaching. I’m the only sped teacher in my building. This group I’m talking about are all in 3rd grade, but they’re pulled from three different classes for the same 30 minute period. I do think these kids could be mainstreamed with the modifications that are already outlined in their IEP.

I think having a para help them out with classroom work after it’s been assigned would be great, but I only have her a couple of hours at the end of the day. And she’s in there during that time because our severe kids are.

checkerjane is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 10-29-2018, 03:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Do your higher students bring work from class? I have about five students who are more than capable of doing the work their peers are doing, they just need additional guidance from me. Didnít know if this was a thing, though. :/
A couple of my schools do it this way, and it works well. The two teachers plan together, then the SPED kids do the same thing in a smaller group setting with more teacher pacing/checking as they go.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote