Help

The VENT

He came back with a sticker

>

GreyhoundGirl

He came back with a sticker
Old 01-17-2019, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Had to call the emergency team on a kid. I knew I was in trouble when I saw my P come and not my AP. I wrote it up right away because if I donít my P sends him right back down.

Sure enough, he was back 45 min later proudly sporting a new sticker.

I guess itís better than a sucker.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

SwollenAnkles

Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you teach at my school? That is exactly what happens all the time at my school. It is always that the child is just misunderstood. Letís put them on a behavior plan and basically make excuses and let them get away with what ever they want! Iím sorry had a bad week. Venting and your post hit a nerve. Right there with you.
SwollenAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote

Xombee

Ugh!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same situation here, which has just made me forego involvement altogether with administration. I've been going solo for years. I'm sorry about your situation.
Xombee is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Sticker
Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

After years of working with soft hearted Ps, I figured out that since they donít see the heinous behaviors, they just want to make the kid feel better.

Itís a no win situation to expect admin to help. I just sent mine to office to give myself a break.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Thought...
Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can relate.

I put a seasonal booklet of stickers in my principal's mailbox. I'm not sure if he knew who put them there.

Sometimes I just needed to see forest for the trees...

ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

Ugh, this is so frustrating...
Old 01-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As is the new, trendy message of "If you would just work on building relationships with your students, you wouldn't have any misbehaviors." Just another way to say it's all your fault to teachers. And sure, yeah, I'll work on building my relationship with her in between ducking flying chairs...

Our kids come back from the detention room with lollipops. I can't even.

MissAgnes

Do you have my old P?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

LAst year a student choked another student in the classroom. We had to call the emergency team. 5 adults came. She went to the office, came back to class 20 minutes later with a granola bar. No consequences, didn't even get a phone call home.
Thankfully our new P is much better.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest2019

What have principals become?
Old 01-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

They seem to be more like pals to the students. I have heard parents say proudly that they are best friends with their kids too.
It is sad, but a lot of parents and schools are teaching their kids that there are no consequences for their actions.
It seems like a lot of people are "going along to get along."
As a previous poster mentioned, I am solo as much as possible too for the same reason.
At the same time, there are some kids and behaviors that you can't go solo on especially if the student is in on a behavior plan.
I would really be unhappy, annoyed, and discouraged if a kid came back with a sucker or sticker.
Sometimes I want to announce, "The emperor has no clothes." For all of you who remember that book, just think about how it relates to a lot of our schools today.
Guest2019 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our p started off doing stuff like this. It is extremely annoying. THen she did community service. Well, those behavior kids are doing things many of our non behavior kids would volunteer to help with! She is making progress. No community service as a main consequence anymore.

This year they bought a service with gumball type machines filled with junk toys. Kids earn tokens. Of course, the kids who earn tokens are kids who they are trying to encourage to do good things. Kids who always act appropriately never get a token. This week my behavior kid and a friend earned a token. The friend was so excited to go get one at the next recess. Right after recess, I had to confiscate the behavior kids reward. He will not get it back. That is typically what happens with those type of things, too. They aren't appropriate, and then don't know how to deal with a toy (put it away.) Inside myself, I had to laugh.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

Times have sure changed.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Kids used to come back from the P humbled. Now they come back with rewards.
We have a problem like Kahlua's. The naughty kids get tokens and trinkets handed to them freely for basic expected behaviors.
Your average or above kids do not even want the tokens anymore.
They associate tokens with troubled kids. They look at you with kind of a quizzical look if you present them with one.

Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Ap
Old 01-21-2019, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was subbing in a self-contained classroom, grades 2-3, the other day. The AP had to be called in on a student. She spent her time playing with him. She blew up a plastic glove and made it into a balloon and played with him. Well, goodness gracious. I never would have thought to reward him for his piss-poor behavior.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote