Help

The VENT

Unequal treatment

>

iloveglitter2

Unequal treatment
Old 01-07-2020, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love being a teacher, but I absolutely hate my job this year! I am treated like I am an idiot. Yesterday, a lady from our board office came and observed my "teaching". At the moment she walked in, one of my special need students attacked another student. The attacked student was crying and the special needs student was having a meltdown and still acting up. This was the first day back after Christmas break and completely unannounced. The lady did not offer any compassion or words of encouragement. She said she would meet with me at my planning. For planning, I already had plans to work with one of the title 1 teachers on a new program we were launching. I kindly told her that I had plans to meet with another teacher, this had been planned before break.
She left saying "we'll see about that.'

Moments later my Principal comes in the room and asks me what my pans were for my planning. When I told her she asked me if when we had made the arrangements. When I told her before break she left.

The lady from the board showed up and my meeting with the other teacher never took place. She pulled my lesson plans and curriculum out, grabbed a highlighter. I was irritated, I have an issue with people helping themselves to my desk items. Anyway, she has me highlight portions of the lesson plan script. She tells me I should read verbatim the highlighted parts. When I highlighted, she told me I was highlighting too fast. Then she asked if I was capable or reading! I responded that she was being very rude and unprofessional. She stormed out and got my principal. They walked in and sat while we went through this whole lesson. The lady from the board said and I quote "you need to back away from teaching reading. Your focus is to be on teaching the curriculum. These kids are just going to transfer from different schools. You just got to make sure they are familiar with the content of the material in the curriculum." I was told to not add one word of my own in my teaching.

Today we had an after school meeting for primary teachers. I teach 1st by the way. Our principal addressed that our reading scores were the lowest in the state (no, really?!) I also learned that all the other teachers have been provided a completely different reading curriculum, a much more engaging and useful curriculum. When a title 1 teacher asked if I could also be provided with this curriculum, she was told no.

I am absolutely leaving the school after this year if not before! I have applications out in neighboring states (my state prohibits transferring mid year). It is a huge decision if hired. But this is nuts!

I have already spoken with our Union and they've basically told me they can't guarantee results or that there will not be retaliation. They stated they have experienced that with this particular school before.

I am just at my Witts end. I leave school and refuse to do anything school related. I have always been totally engaged as a teacher. I am not a new teacher. I have won many awards for teaching in my career. I am just at a loss of what to do until the next thing opens up.

iloveglitter2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Guest 5512

Guest 5512

Old 01-07-2020, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Wow. Thatís just awful. What a way to start 2020.

It becomes clear that teachers are being reduced to script readers - who can later be replaced by technology.

SweetTea

So Sorry...
Old 01-07-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is a shame when an administrator demands you use a script. All my experiences with various scripted programs are you have to add to it and make it personal. What an A #1 jerk to treat you this way. To ignore your requests and treat you unprofessional is so very disrespectful. No wonder good teachers are walking out.
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Terrible! Well, just finish out the year the best you can. Look forward to getting out of there!
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Reading
Old 01-07-2020, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That sounds horrendous. I can't believe you were told not to teach reading to 6 year olds!

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Absolutely horrible! The first day back from vacation is always an off day for the kids. Either they are packed in cotton and unresponsive or they've forgotten every single rule. It sounds like you were set up to fail and the district office gal was looking to sink your ship.

I'm glad you'll be getting out of there at the end of this year.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-07-2020, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Wait...do you have a regular classroom? If so why are you not getting the curriculum everyone else is?

That's insane!
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

That is absolutely crazy
Old 01-07-2020, 09:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If someone asked me if I could read and implied I was doing a poor job, I probably would've either cried or gone into shock. I've had pretty bad experiences with my last admin but to have someone else come in (who doesn't even know your class ) and tell me to change things up, tell on me to the principal, and ask if I could read is insane.

PS, I also hate it when people I don't like come in my room and grab my things, even if it's only a pen.
hikinghiker is online now   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 01-08-2020, 01:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

OMG, how horrible, I feel for you. I've had a couple of issues with admin in my day too. I wish EVERYONE would stop trying to get into the teaching field and they have this massive nationwide shortage. Serves them right for how they treat us!
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yikes
Old 01-08-2020, 03:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

They sound like a corrupt administration.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 01-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't understand why they haven't given you the same curriculum the other teachers have. That part doesn't make sense to me.

It sounds like this lady was extremely rude. Does she even have a background in education?
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou888

Old 01-08-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

What a total bitch!!
PindleLou888 is offline   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 01-08-2020, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

So many things wrong with this scenario!

Why do you not get the same curriculum as the rest of the teachers at your school?

Your union sounds useless.

This woman should be invited to try teaching, since she's such an expert. I wonder if she would treat her students level of respect she gave you? I wonder how much experience she has as a classroom teacher.

Is there someone higher up the chain you could file a grievance with?

Your principal should have had your back.

Good for you for calling her out on her rudeness and for telling her you already had a a meeting planned for your planning period.
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 01-11-2020, 12:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Why would a board member be doing that? That is so weird. Telling you not to teach the kids to read bizarre. I would document everything that goes on between you and the admin. I also would recommend you ask for a union rep at all future meetings.

http://www.sweetstevens.com/newsroom...inary-meetings
EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 01-12-2020, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Heck no. I would get away from there with the quickness. That was very rude and unprofessional of her.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

How awful!
Old 01-12-2020, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am so sorry you are being treated so poorly. Good for you for getting out of there ASAP. For the rest of the year, just read the script. It will make your lesson plans a breeze. I feel sorry for the kids. One day at a time- start your countdown now!
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote