Help

The VENT

I'm not sure if I'm being taken advantage of

>

snazzyjazzy

I'm not sure if I'm being taken advantage of
Old 01-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub for an elementary school and work there almost everyday. There is a 4 year old that just started pre-k a few weeks ago. He had never been in any kind of setting with other children (according to his teacher). He shows indicators of SPED, so his teacher has started the referral process.
The teacher has asked for extra support for him in the classroom (in addition to the para who is in there half day). She has asked for me to be put in there (but admin has not talked to me about it). I have seen noncomplicance from him but the teacher has been hit, kicked, bit, etc).
PreK is going on their field trip next Friday and admin wanted me to accompany the para and teacher with his class to help out with this student. I am booked on that day so they are trying to figure out if they will send him "unsupported" or find someone to cover the other class so I can attend the field trip with him.

Today, I was subbing for an in-class support para. Around 1 pm, the office does an all-call for me and asks me to come to the office. I get to the office and the two assistant principals are with this little boy (he is laying on the floor). One ap is on the phone with his mom while the other ap is blocking the door to make sure he doesn't leave. The ap blocking the door tells me that they need me to spend the rest of the afternoon with this little boy (about 2.5 hrs). She tells me that he can't go back to class until he is under control. I ask her where I'm supposed to take him and for work for him. She directs me to the play therapy room (so I'm taking this 4 year who has been removed from class for misbehavior to a room full of toys and he isn't allowed to touch them). She said the teacher is supposed to be sending work down.
The little boy knows me and seems to like me. We go to the room and I tell him that he can't touch any of the toys and he can sit on the carpet or in a chair. He complies and we sit there for about 20 minutes (he is completely calm) and I see 2 heads looking through the small window in the door. They come in, while we are reading a book about transportation. It was one of the ap's along with the para for the behavior program. They observe for a few minutes and then the ap tells the little boy that it is time to go to specials. He flops back to the floor and it takes several minutes of talking to him before he is sitting back up. I tell him to pick a kind of transportation and we would pretend to take that transportation to specials. He picked a bus so he held the "bus" (paper book) to get to specials. We make it all the way thru specials. I take him back to the office and the assistant principal asks me to take him back to class (and stay with him) until the end of the day. He is able to finish the day and get into his car (which has been a struggle the past few days).
I don't know if today was a trial run (to see if they could get him support) or if they just couldn't/didn't want to deal with him.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-24-2020, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure what you mean by taking advantage of you?

To me, it seems that what they learned is that with the presence of an adult who works directly with him, thinks about what is developmentally appropriate, avoids power struggles, etc. the child is able to behavior in a relatively appropriate way.

It certainly makes sense to me to have those supports be supplied by a sub (good for you), rather than an administrator. The administrator has other duties and arranged for great support (you!) for the child.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-24-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure how that could be taking advantage of you? It sounds like you were hired to be a support para today, and you did that (just individually instead of for a whole class). If they offered you a job as his para, would you take it?
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

Regarding the title
Old 01-24-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I didn't think anything about them possibly taking advantage of me until a teacher made a comment about them using me for discipline so I wanted to get others' opinions.

If admin approached me about working with him full time, I would still be a sub (just a long term position) since he has not qualified for SPED services.

GraceKrispy

Old 01-24-2020, 08:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh, I get it. I don't think they are taking advantage. I think they are using in a support position in a different way, and it sounds like you are being very effective at it. I think you're right that they were probably at their wit's end and pulled you in, but I don't think it's outside the realm of the job description for what you subbed. They are lucky you are so good at this!

GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote
visiting

visiting

Support, not discipline
Old 01-25-2020, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think the other person may see you being used for discipline, but I see you being seen as someone who is able to meet the needs of this particular child. A 4 year old, particularly one who may have additional needs, is probably not capable of submitting to the wishes of another, especially once the situation has escalated to the level you describe.
The aim of behavior management is to eventually get to the stage of self discipline. You set the stage for the child to be able to make appropriate choices without antagonism. You made it possible for him to be successful, to meet the expectations, just by meeting him where he was and finding ways to lead him to acceptable behavior, not by imposing rules on him.

You sound like a great teacher!

broomrider

snazzyjazzy
Old 01-25-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It rather sounds like an audition to see if you can deal with this child's behaviors since admin can't/won't.

You did an excellent job of remaining calm, offering acceptable to you choices, and being a bit playful with the child.

I'm also thinking that your novelty was a small part of your success (not to indicate ANY thought on my part that you did less than a wonderful job). If you were required to provide daily management for the child, your relationship might change.

I also remember the adage that doing a good job is rewarded by more work.

Think carefully about accepting daily interactions with a very aggressive child who may receive little administrative support. Are 1:1 aides paid more or less than substitutes? What coverage do you have in case of injury?
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sounds like you had successful day with the student!

I would think long and hard before I took on a full time position as a sub to work 9nly with this child. I'd want to be hitedss a " real" employee.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 01-26-2020, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

After reading this, I feel as though you have made a connection with this little boy, that no other staff member has been able to make. Administration may recognize that this little boy will need extra support and recognized that you have the ability to work with this little boy. This little boy has learned to trust you. I feel like administration did a great job with this situation because they realized they needed a calm person this little boy trusted....and you were that person. Administration contacted mom, observed you interacting with this little boy, and made sure all returned to calm. You should feel very honored that you were the one that was able to do this.
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

I just spoke with his teacher
Old 01-26-2020, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

about whether she heard anything from admin when the day was over. She said the ap told her that he cannot have full time help (me or someone else) yet because he has not been screened for SPED. She told me the process can take up to 45 days. I know that he has been observed twice by someone in the SPED program. She also said that they would pull me when he starts to act up. I'm not sure how that will work when I'm subbing for gen. ed classes. I may talk to admin tomorrow to make sure we are all on the same page.