Well I may not have filed for unemployment correctly after all? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Well I may not have filed for unemployment correctly after all?

>

Bobbies

Well I may not have filed for unemployment correctly after all?
Old 04-13-2020, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I emailed my state representative today and told him that I got through and received a response and it appeared as though it was accepting of my unemployment. However, my Congressman said that I am like 75% finished but I have to go back online and "request payment by weekly". I don't have to reapply for benefits though. What do I have to" request payment biweekly" for? I have looked for hours and hours and I couldn't find it, then with kicked off for several hours during the peak period of the day, now I am just now able to sign back on but it is taking me to unavailable.tw C.something else. Does anybody know what request payment biweekly is, and why it is so important? I called my state Congressmans office again, but they didn't answer. I hate having to call them. I have already called them several times today alone and we've had several E mail exchanges as well. UPDATE It is says it is too early to file your payment request. You are scheduled to fall your next payment request during the week beginning April 19th 2020. I am so confused. By the way, I live in Texas.

Bobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

Old 04-13-2020, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It looks like Texas just announced they are adding more workers to help out.
Stay awake tonight...

" the commission says the best time to do it is from --Midnight to 5 a.m. Online"
The call center is now open seven days a week from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. )
You can call at 800-939-6631."

Good luck
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Hopefully this helps
Old 04-13-2020, 10:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi Bobbie,

Quote:
What do I have to" request payment biweekly" for?
This is called Certifying...Yes, you do not have to reapply for benefits but you do have to certify every two weeks to see if you continue to be eligible to receive benefits.

You are probably seeing something that says: You do not have available week(s) to certify. Check back after April 19, 2020 for you next available week(s).

Don't look for the questions now- it won't let you see them...
So, after the 19th (on that day actually- it is always a Sunday) you can open the tab that says You can now Certify...Read carefully. Once you are done Certifying wk one,you will then be prompted to Certify for week two.
(Everyone certify week's are different depending on what week they applied for UI)
I am not in Texas, but hopefully this helps

I found this link for the Texas Work Force-- look at page 8 and 9..

https://www.twc.state.tx.us/files/jo...ndbook-twc.pdf
Don't worry, It will all start to become clearer soon enough, give it time...

Gosh, if I made a mistake in explaining, plz excuse me...
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

You just have to answer some questions
Old 04-14-2020, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

On the 19th, you can log on and request payment. The page will ask you 5 simple questions such as "Did you work week 1 or 2", "If you didnt work, were you able to work". Once you answer those questions, then log back in a few hours later and it will tell you how much you are getting. If you have direct deposit, it takes 2-3 days to receive the money after you answer the questions. I am in Texas also and just requested payment for the 2nd time. I hope this helps.
snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Bobbies

Thank You
Old 04-14-2020, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you so much for your help. When it asks me "were you able to work" , how should I answer that? Will I be penalize to if I answer truthfully? If I don't answer I'm able to work, what business is it of any of theirs, since my understanding is that it has been waived that you have to look for any type of employment.

Bobbies

Thank You kind person
Old 04-14-2020, 04:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thank you so much for your help. The way the Texas workforce commission is handling this is an absolute nightmare. I have contacted several of my state Congressman, and the representatives to answer for them have absolutely no clue about it either. If everybody is clueless, would good as that?

bodhimom

California
Old 04-14-2020, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My understanding is that you have to say that you were able to work to get unemployment.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 04-14-2020, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Reply that you are able to work. Workers who are not able to work do not get benefits.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

In Cali
Old 04-15-2020, 12:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Failure to not "look" for work jeopardizes our claim. In Cali, we then are prompted to another page to fill in work search details. Not sure about Texas.
Interesting that in Texas, you guys get 5 questions- here in CA we get 6 questions on the first week, then on the 2nd week we get 8.
((Did you have any changes in address/phone number, and if you want federal income tax withheld for the week(s).))

Also, in Cali we have to register to CalJobs and load up our resume in order to fully complete our application. Failure to do so jeopardizes our claim. It's a requirement to register to work within 21 days of notification.
I don't know if Texas has something like that.
Don't know if this helps or confuses you more....
Sweetsunset is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

reliable source
Old 04-15-2020, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

It's best to go to your specific state's EDD website if you want the correct info. It may take some time to read through, but it's the best source.

That said, here's what I know based on California EDD info I've read and my past first-hand experiences with CA EDD when I've collected UI:
As far as looking for work, it's not such a big deal. You can do it all at home. Simply post your resume on the various job search websites (Glassdoor, Indeed, Edjoin, etc.) and check them regularly for job opportunities. You can also receive emails of appropriate job openings from these sites. Doing that fills EDD's "looking for work" requirement. It also allows you to see what's out there. Who knows? You may actually find a great job for yourself while you're at it! (BTW: Many employers opt for phone interviews rather than in-person.)

BTW: You are applying for appropriate work for your skill set. You are not being forced to take a job digging ditches (unless you want to). The idea is for UI to provide some financial support while you find a satisfactory fit job wise--or until your district opens schools and you start subbing and earning $ again--whichever comes first. (Bear in mind that UI doesn't last forever. If you want future job/financial security, it would behoove you to keep an eye out for better job prospects during this layoff period.)

Again, I don't know about Texas EDD procedures. I can only speak for CA. In CA, you normally do NOT have to fill out your job search info on the weekly report form. If you're completing it online, you just skip the job search info page (it's optional). The exception is if they put an X on that item, indicating it's required (this is rare).

But again, for reliable info. about Texas requirements, best to go to your Texas EDD website and take the time to read through the info they provide there.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 04-15-2020 at 09:41 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

California
Old 04-15-2020, 12:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Newsom just announced that he is extending edd call center times to 8:00 am - 8:00 pm, 7 days a week, starting April 20. Why they can't start today, I have no idea, but I guess it is better than nothing.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 04-16-2020, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I keep playing phone tag with the dept. of labor.

I missed three of their calls yesterday while my phone was making updates.

Impossible to get through.

Frustrating is putting lightly for me.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote