Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Ripple Effect/Karma

>

eliza4one

Ripple Effect/Karma
Old 04-17-2020, 01:05 PM

I imagine people are experiencing a lot of this lately. I love it!

I have a brother who is an alcoholic and therefore homeless. My sister took him shopping for sweatshirts. I, in turn, sent her a check to help her out, as she doesn't have that much extra money. She, in turn, sent her grown son a check to help him out....who knows where it will lead...

I donated some hand made greeting cards via next-door today. Her mom had just passed away and she needed thank you cards. As I pulled into the driveway, I recognized her house as the house that had given me free Iris a couple of years ago. Iris were my mom's favorite flowers and now I have Iris in my yard to remind me of my mother. She had no clue of the connection until I told her. We both agreed there was a higher being involved in this most recent connection.

I put stamps on the cards to save her time and $$. The stamps were donated by a parent of mine in return for all the handmade cards and letters I have been sending my students during remote learning.

I have more stories, but would love to hear of others' during this time of self-isolation/great need.

eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Karma story
Old 04-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Early last month I was cleaning out the shed at my previous home so I could get it ready to sell. Amazingly, I found a small box of two N-95 masks, dusty but in perfect condition in a cellophane package within the box. I have no idea when or why I bought them, but I lived there for many years, so it must have been a long time ago. At my new home I have a neighbor who is a critical care nurse at a nearby hospital that has numerous COVID patients. She was so happy when I donated them to her.

When we were advised that everyone should wear a mask, I tried a bandanna but it felt very uncomfortable. I also ordered a mask online but it won't arrive until late June. In the meantime I cobbled something together from a long shoe string and some old cloth. It looked pretty amateurish, as I am NOT good with a needle. Then, to my surprise, I received an email from a friend up north that she was sending me two handmade masks. I was delighted to receive them, as they fit perfectly and are pretty colors, too. Now I am covered! Karma!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 04-17-2020, 01:24 PM

I love this.. all I have is my mom bought James tons of new summer clothes and my dad offered to pay for half of our broken washer.

I buy coffee for folks behind me often and donated to the food bank. I need to think of something more.
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

gradymidget

Old 04-17-2020, 01:44 PM

My ripple effect....my neighbors across the street knew I couldn’t find flour anywhere. Low and behold....there was an Easter box outside of our door on Easter with some goodies including a bag of flour! I called it a bag of gold. I am paying it forward by sending my daughter who lives on a small island of 500 year-round residents, 2 boxes of food with items she cannot either get on the island or are very costly!

Thanks for starting this thread Eliza4one! I want to find other ways to pay-it-forward!
gradymidget is offline   Reply With Quote

dav5fam

Thanks for the post
Old 04-17-2020, 02:24 PM

Well.... I did it! I did something for someone today!!! It wasn’t because I want something in return. I had been thinking about doing this particular thing that I did.

So many people have shown kindness to my loved ones, how can I not do the same for someone else’s family?

Enjoy the rest of this post everyone!!! Thanks for the motivation!

Okay! No joke! It is now 11 minutes after I posted this. My daughter (a high school senior) just texted me to say that she got a call from my teacher’s union, letting her know that she is being awarded a scholarship for our community college!!!! I almost fell out of my chair.... I am cracking up!!!!

Who’s next on the kindness? It’s not a give to get thing, but paying it forward and being good to others has a very healthy outcome for our mind and our mood...

Last edited by dav5fam; 04-17-2020 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: needed to add an update
dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 04-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Very cool stories, PTers! LOVED reading about them. I truly do believe the good you send out into the world comes back to you.

I am so very thankful my parents instilled within me the importance of giving of oneself to others who are less fortunate. They are both gone now, but I carry that part of them (and so much more) within me.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote