Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Instacart

>

dav5fam

Instacart
Old 04-20-2020, 06:14 PM

Please tell me why this service is good for you and possibly me.

dav5fam is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 04-20-2020, 06:42 PM

We've used it twice for delivery and I love it. It's nice to not have to go out. We don't have masks or sanitizing wipes.

What's really nice is that your shopper can text you to ask for substitutions, which is very helpful. I have done grocery pickup through the store before all this, and even with allowing substitutions, they claimed they were out of a lot of things and all possible substitutions. I was a bit skeptical, but who knows.
love_to_learn is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Instacart
Old 04-20-2020, 07:06 PM

Iíve had two Costco orders delivered by Instacart. It's a blessing for me since I am unable to walk around a store let alone wait in a long line to get into the store. Yes, the personal shopper will text you as they shop to ask about substitutions or tell you something isnít in stock. So far, out of stock items are always toilet paper. Prices are higher and you tip the shopper.

Iíve been fairly satisfied with the service. My main complaints are smashed donuts and and bread.

The shopper places my order on my porch and no contact is necessary. You can increase the tip after your delivery if you feel you received great service. So far Iím a 10% tipper.

Will I use it again. Most likely, I will since my ability to walk well and stand for periods of time is limited at this time.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

luvmycat

Old 04-20-2020, 07:17 PM

There is a delivery charge AND a service charge plus a tip.

They suggest a 5 percent tip and the service charge is also 5 percent. The delivery charge is 3.95 or 8.95 depending on demand.

It is much more immediate than the deliveries and pick up around here. I would have to order out almost 5 days for other services. Instacart is usually here within 2 hours.
luvmycat is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-20-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
There is a delivery charge AND a service charge plus a tip.
. Thanks for explaining this. I read arsabi tipping 10% and was thinking how not nice that way (never used the service myself) for someone shopping, communication changes, and delivering to your door! But that sounds okay for already having 2 fees on top of it.

Not a choice in my area.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MissTrace

Old 04-20-2020, 10:44 PM

I pay the yearly fee. I've been using Instacart for over a year, since Amazon fresh stopped delivery in our area. With that the fees aren't so bad, but if you're not planning on using it much than I wouldn't pay that fee.

I like not having to go to the store, especially now. They will message you if items are sold out to approve substitutions. It works for me.
MissTrace is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 04-21-2020, 02:21 AM

It may depend quite a bit on where you live. Here, I waited 5 days for a scheduled delivery, then it ended up being cancelled (after I waited 5 hours past the scheduled delivery time). I was prompted to choose another date and time, but none were available over the next week. So, in my area, it's a no go.

I have been doing some shopping (between my main forays every 2-3 weeks) at a local convenience store that actually has a fairly complete grocery area. I can call in an order, charge it over the phone, and they bring it out to my car for no fee. I get fresh vegetables at a local market which is rarely crowded (if I see a lot of cars, I drive by and go another time).
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 04-21-2020, 04:00 AM

Same as lisa53. We had an order that we waited a week for. At the scheduled delivery time (between 8-9 pm) they texted and said it would be around 11pm. Okay - we said. Around 11 we got a text saying it wasn't going to happen and wouldn't be delivered for another 5 days. We cancelled. Not a good experience
momteach310 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 04-21-2020, 04:30 AM

I live in a large area and can get deliveries within an hour of placing them on the app.

I prefer Shipt to InstaCart only because since it’s owned by Target I can order from Target without an upcharge on items. Otherwise it’s a 30% upcharge on each item for other stores (on Shipt not sure about InstaCart). We pay the annual fee so there is no additional service fee. The Shipt shopper will text you throughout shopping for substitutions or cancellations and contactless delivery is the norm now. You only have to sign for your order if you order alcohol.

I’m using it right now as I’m avoiding going out at all. I have tipped generously as somebody is choosing to leave their home during this time and shop for me. Yes, they make money but still. It makes my groceries more expensive due to the tip but it also stops impulse purchases.

If you go through the Target app, Shipt is free for the first 30 days and no delivery charge for over $35.
Lilbitkm is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 04-21-2020, 07:24 AM

The tip is supposed to go directly to the personal shopper. I tip 10% over the 5% since the service is very beneficial for me in my condition. I wouldnít use the service if I could do my own shopping.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote