Help

BusyBoard

Full Time to Half Time Teacher

>

SweetTea

Full Time to Half Time Teacher
Old 05-19-2020, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever took a job that was half-time teaching? I am considering it. I was going to try doing an ESL para job, but then a half-time ESL certified job has opened (it is a new position). Any pros or cons would be appreciated.
I would be going from a full-time elementary classroom to a half-time EL teacher (AM).

SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 05-19-2020, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have taken a half-time reading job because it was all I could get when I moved to a new town in mid-September. This was a long time ago, and I moved to a full-time job the next year.

My memories are that I had the same amount of planning to do, fewer papers to grade, and often felt out of the loop. Generally I could get my work done in the other half of the day and usually didn't take any home. I had to move to a corner of the library, however, because someone else used my room in the afternoon.

I preferred and needed full-time pay.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Half Time Teaching
Old 05-19-2020, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I taught ESOL half time my last two years before retiring. I worked five days a week, and my day ended at 12:15. I made a point of leaving then every day and not attending meetings during the time I wasn't being paid.

I liked having afternoons off, and things at school were a bit less stressful. It was great not having to attend after school staff meetings and other professional development activities.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Many years ago
Old 05-19-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was hired for halfl time,PM, kindergarten. although I was thrilled to be hired, I still had ALL the same responsibilities as the full time teachers without Any benefits. I had a full class, only two preps per week, recess duty every day, and zero sick days with no insurance. I took the job bc it was a stepping stone to a full time contract. I did get hired and contracted the following year.
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Off the top of my head
Old 05-19-2020, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Pros:
EL students are nice to work with (in my case)
No report cards
No parent conferences
Only 1 subject
Little parent contact
Independence
Staff meetings (only attend on paid hours)
Only work with each child/group for short time, then they go back
Less stress
Half day!

Cons:
Half pay
Out of loop
Loss of ďteamĒ if you like teamwork
Less credit for retirement (not sure for your particular area) and salary (if experience moves you into higher pay)
Isolated, lonely
Have to deal with a lot of teachers
Student relationships will be different than when you are their classroom teacher

Other considerations:
Teaching area (could go either way)
Curriculum - make sure itís provided
Job description - since itís a new position, make sure itís defined. Will you be pulled to cover classroom absences, or absences in Special Ed. like when an aide doesnít show up, or will you be called if they need help with a student who is out of control?

Good luck to you!

KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-19-2020, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did half-time jobs for two years. One year the school had just enough teachers so they didn't need a full-time person, so I taught three classes a day. I ended up being 7/10 because they added a position for another school.

It was actually a lot harder than I thought because I had four different preps at two schools. It would have been fantastic had I only had one prep. I'd gone from a full-time job with one prep to a part time job with four preps.

The hardest thing I found besides the preps was that I missed out on some of the things at the schools just because I was missing everything in the morning at one school and the afternoon at another school. For instance, the high school has staff meetings in the afternoon, so I missed all of those because I was gone by then.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-19-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would be sure to ask some questions about the responsibilities in the interview. I've never done part time, but all of the schools I've worked in have had part time employees and IMO it seems like they're doing at least 80% of the work with only 50% pay.

One school didn't get the half time person a lunch time or a planning period, so when you considered actual student contact hours she was working almost as much as everyone else with only half the pay. Other schools have expected that part time people still attend staff meetings and PD days. Also consider that teaching jobs tend to be more than the hours just spent at school, so even if the school is generous with the schedule it will still likely be more work.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-19-2020, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I teach half time, but I'm in a job share, not an actual half time position so it's a bit different. But I will say that having a half time schedule is awesome! Yes, I work more than 50%, but I also have the most balance in my life than I've ever had.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote