Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Sleep Number Bed

>

GreyhoundGirl

Sleep Number Bed
Old 07-18-2020, 08:42 PM

Itís time for a new mattress because my bed is trying to kill me. Iím looking at a Sleep Number Bed because I have champagne tastes on a beer budget and my last 2 regular mattresses have been less than adequate.

So, if you have a Sleep Number, please tell me your thoughts, specifically are they worth the money and do they last more than 10 years?

Thanks.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-18-2020, 09:57 PM

I slept on one for two weeks in Florida when I visited a guy I was dating at the time. It was adjustable, and I really liked that. I did play around with the settings, but I never quite found one I liked. Canít speak for how long they last. It was good for two weeks. This one was a queen size. Iíd be interested to try a king.

We are needing a new mattress, but I have no idea what I want. Iíd like adjustable because I have awful heartburn, and I also like to watch tv in bed. DH had a memory foam that was comfortable until you started sinking into it. It was hot and hard to get up from.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

KimPossible27

Mom runs a mattress store
Old 07-18-2020, 10:11 PM

My mom runs a mattress store and worked for sleep number at one point. I think through her and her store I've tried every mattress in existence. The theory of the sleep number bed is kind of cool, but we had a few and none of them lasted more than a few years. There would be problems with the motor or the air chambers seemed to fall apart, so she doesn't really recommend them. She only sleeps on tempurpedics now, but those can be pricey although there are sometimes special sales.
KimPossible27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 07-19-2020, 04:13 AM

We have had two and I did not like either one of them. We currently have a Nectar and I find it very comfortable. We have had it for three years. We also had a Casper that was comfortable. Both are ordered through the mail so it is a gamble of sorts. But then again, how well can you really test a mattress in the store?
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-19-2020, 04:20 AM

DH researched them when we were in the market for a new mattress.

We went to the Sleep Number store and tried them out. One of the big selling points the lady kept telling us was that they were adjustable so we both could get a good nights sleep. When she did our scan, we both came out to the same number! She was at a lack for words, lol.

We were all set to buy one. They said they had them right in the store. But when we went to pay, we were told they had to order it and it would be three weeks. We also would have to pay for delivery to our house on top of the cost of the bed.

We were concerned about the air chambers and the cost of repairing/ replacing the mechanical parts - the warranty says it is a 15 year warranty, but it is only a 1 year full warranty, then a prorated warranty after that.

DH decided that since the advertising was not correct, and the warranty was not that great, we would not buy it.

We went with a Nectar bed and we are very happy with our decision!

choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

I've had one for over 12 years...
Old 07-19-2020, 05:01 AM

and I freakin' HATE IT WITH A PASSION!! The ONLY reason we still have it is because we spent SO much money on it. We were in the market to replace it late winter of this year, but then COVID Hell broke loose, so we're stuck with it until we feel comfortable going into stores and searching for one.

Please, do not waste your money on it! It's so not worth it!!
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

anabel12

Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 AM

Don't like ours, either. My DH was on the quest for a perfect mattress and that was one phase. He did sleep on it at 100 when his back was giving him trouble but might as well have slept on the floor. Now we have a very expensive Temperpedic, which he loves. It's a little stiff for me. We have the one that the head and foot lift up, but not separately. Wouldn't do that again.
anabel12 is offline   Reply With Quote

read2day

Old 07-19-2020, 07:04 AM

Looks like Iím the exception to the rule. We have had a sleep number bed for 15 years and I love it! It has held up well and survived being disassembled/ reassembled for various reasons. DH likes hard mattresses and previous to the sleep number bed I would actually wake up feeling bruised. Now we each have a different setting on our sides of the bed and I have slept comfortably for years.
read2day is online now   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Bought ours in 2009
Old 07-19-2020, 09:03 AM

And have enjoyed it. No problems with motor or air chamber and it has survived DS thinking it was a trampoline. We did not have to pay for delivery or assembly. Wanting to replace ONLY because we want an adjusting frame at some point, but will go with a sleep number again if possible.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedqn1

Ours was ok
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 AM

But we felt like it didn't last that long. Because you can really flip or rotate it, there were definitely grooves where we slept the most.

We replaced it with a Casper mattress. its a little firmer than I thought I liked on initial trial, but I've grown to love it.

Spedqn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 07-19-2020, 02:47 PM

Another vote for tempur-pedic...it is so comfortable! My old mattress was so so so very bad though I think almost anything would be better!

Just a funny aside about Sleep Number beds...when I was little and saw ads for them, I marveled at them and hoped I would be rich enough one day to own such a fancy bed!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote