Help

BusyBoard

How are your school boards meeting?

>

TeacherPK6

How are your school boards meeting?
Old 07-22-2020, 08:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious, especially for those districts that have already decided to go back in person, how are your school boards meeting? Virtually or in person?

TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 07-22-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Virtual meeting - but we will go back in person in 3 weeks. You know who's health is more important!

The advantage to virtual is that it is easier to attend the meetings, but they could meet and stream the meeting.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

As expected
Old 07-22-2020, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The board meets virtually to tell us to hold classes in person. At the same time, all sports are up and running! I am perplexed.
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

MayCee

School Board
Old 07-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our school board meets in person- though we did have one member last night meet virtually. The meetings are open and if they see they will have a large crowd, they move the meeting to the HS where they can distance more easily. Last night they didnít need to move the meeting. They are streaming the video for everyone on our YouTube channel so we can watch virtually and not have to be in person. I personally like this option because then I donít need to go sit in person. I can watch from my recliner .
MayCee is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our board meets in person. However, there are a few members who have not been in person as they don’t feel comfortable and there have been multiple positive cases in the district offices.

They all wear masks (well everybody but the superintendent does ) and it’s live-streamed on YouTube (they’ve been doing this for years). The board room is also huge— they are all well over 6 feet from each other.

(Florida here- my school board is adamantly opposed to the current state mandate that all schools open normally, 5 days a week for all kids.)

Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district's school board meetings are both live and virtual. You can attend in person, as long as you wear a mask and social distance yourself. They also post it live on Facebook. Some school board members are at the live meeting. Others participate over Zoom. It's a very interesting set up.
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Virtual, but...
Old 07-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Right now they contend that they can't social distance because so many people want to speak.

Latest meeting had 20 speakers sign up and that would have put them over 50 people at one time. Board president made sure to show that empty board room set up for social distancing.

It looks like the super and board secretary were working out of their offices and the rest of the board and administrators, etc. were at home.

I was one of 1,000 people to watch the last board meeting online.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-22-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ours have been online since March and they voted for us to be hybrid starting in September.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-22-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ours are virtual and we are going back in person with an online option for students. I really don't think the virtual meetings are as hypocritical as others are saying (I've seen that meme over and over again on FB). There is absolutely no benefit to having an in person meeting vs. a zoom meeting, so what would be the point of having it in person right now? In fact, I think it's the opposite- there are benefits to having it on zoom and perhaps they should always do it that way. The meetings are far more accessible to the community now that anyone can watch from home vs. having to show up in the board room and sit there for 3+ hours.

I'm not saying going back to in person school is the right choice right now, but there are major benefits to in person instruction. It's not like a meeting with adults where it doesn't matter where it takes place, so you might as well just do the option with 0 risk. Even though we're going back in person, our district has decided that all of our IEP meetings will be via zoom this year. Same type of idea- there is no benefit to having the meeting in person (parent can see paperwork if we share our screen, our system now does electronic signatures), so it makes the most sense to do the 0 risk option. You can't compare that to in person vs. online instruction where there are many pros and cons for both options.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-22-2020, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ours meet in person, but there arenít that many, so they just spread out.

Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-22-2020, 11:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

The retirees were "honored " at our last board meeting in June so I attended on line . The board members and the cabinet members which at the moment are only 2 met along with the new superintendent in the board room face to face with masks and social distancing Everyone else was sent a link to join on zoom. Our board goes in and out of closed sessions frequently . I imagine they want to debate in person as much as possible. Strength in numbers doesn't really display solidarity on zoom like face to face does. Especially when all the squares are black. ( i kinda hate that)
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 07-23-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Ours have been virtual and we will be going back to school 100% virtual. I have learned that the state must give approval for the school board to meet virtually. Unless the governor gives an extension, the August meeting will be in person.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Board meetings
Old 07-23-2020, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

They are held in person with social distancing and masks if needed. Guests are allowed a few at a time with masks and distancing and all meetings have always been streamed for those of us that canít get to our central services building. They quit doing Zoom meetings about a month ago.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote