Help

BusyBoard

Classtag? Remind? Google Voice?

>

SoCalTeach

Classtag? Remind? Google Voice?
Old 07-25-2020, 07:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never used any of these platforms for communication. Which have you used and do you recommend it? Why?

SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-25-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

So many options. I have classtag marked to try out but haven’t yet. I am interested in it because it works with classroom, so it wouldn’t be a separate site for parents.

I looked at remind, and it looks like a good option. I thought google. Once was for making phone calls, which I certainly don’t want to do everyday!
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 07-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I use Dojo because I love the behavior piece and itís great for parent communication. I can post pictures, send messages, etc through it.

My team mates used Remind and the only thing I liked about that was they could sign parents up, BUT you couldnít send pictures of what was happening in class and it wasnít as versatile as Dojo or Class Tag.

I logged into Class Tag and was immediately overwhelmed. I will admit I didnít really give it a try as I am a Dojo girl through and through. It does have features Dojo doesnít and Dojo has features it doesnít. If it were me, Iíd narrow it down between these 2.

Google Voice only lets you make phone calls and I really like texting because I like having things in writing and responding when I have time. Itís not really a long term, year long option. Itís good if you want to call a parent, but donít want them to have your number.

I hope this helps.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 07-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Google Voice to call and text parents while we have been working remotely.

It is pretty easy to use. You can choose to make all calls and texts from your computer if you want. If you get a voicemail or text message you can choose to receive an email notification also.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

My K team
Old 07-25-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use bloomz. Had some good features. Easy to use.

kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 07-25-2020, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love remind. We have been told to set up a Google voice with office hours for parent contact this year. My P does not want families having our personal phones, but knows many will want/need to hear our voices.
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 07-25-2020, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use Dojo for the parent communication piece, class story (like a Facebook wall), and we started using the portfolio feature during spring closures.

I also had a google voice number because I refuse to give my cell phone number to parents. A google voice number allowed me to reach out to families who were not online while maintaining my privacy.
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-25-2020, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use Remind most of the time, but I do also have a Google Voice number because I've had to call parents. The problem is that it is a NC number, and I'm in KY. So most people aren't picking up an unknown NC number. When I block the number, they don't pick up a blocked number.

This year I'm going to have the kids with the number from day one, so maybe they can just add me to their contacts.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use Dojo for the communication, both stories and messaging.
My school has a very high population of parent who don’t speak any English and Dojo translates everything for them which is beyond helpful.

My school uses Dojo so parents also get all updates from the school on Dojo as well which is great.

I also use it for behavior but positive behavior/incentives only. They dont lose points unless it’s to cash them in on Friday’s for rewards (the majority of the rewards are free things).
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-25-2020, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Ima- why don't you have a number in your region? One of the reasons I have a google voice number is for making calls at our vaca house (retirement place). Now I want to have a number in my home area code, and from what I can read, I will have to give up my number to get the other. I would rather have it in my school account, but the district has admin priveleges so I have to figure out who to ask if they can add it to me...

I did see that you can text/chat using your google voice number, so I think I am going to use it this year. I hate making phone calls. :-)

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

FernLoverGirl

Yes!
Old 07-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

My teachers used remind when I was in high school and honestly it was so helpful! I always came to class prepared because I received a reminder when i felt overwhelmed with other classes, so I always had that little boost.

A classtag would be awesome if you have students in a grade level that they 1. Have cell phones 2. Are mature enough to always be cautious and post appropriate content to the page. That would be my only true concern, some kids will take advantage of it for negative postings. But, if you trust your students will be responsible, go for it!!!
FernLoverGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-25-2020, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
Ima- why don't you have a number in your region?
There was nothing available in my region. The only options it gave me were in other states. Many years ago I had a Google Number that had my same four last digits and area code. I have that number up when I hadnít used it in a few years. Next time I tried to get one, it wasnít allowed by the district. Last spring they set it up through our Google school accounts, but it seems somehow different than it used to be. Still it is a number besides my personal number.

DH refuses to use his phone for work. He says if they want him to use his personal phone they can pay part of the bill.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote