Help

Third Grade

Classroom Jobs for every student?

>

Teach0828

Classroom Jobs for every student?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have a job for every student in your class? I want to begin a classroom economy, and students will be paid weekly for completing their job. Therefore, I want to have a job for every student. For those of you that have done this, do you find it difficult to keep up with?

Teach0828 is offline   Reply With Quote

kenz

Old 07-22-2011, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have used the classroom economy for many years. When I began I did it weekly and it was difficult to keep up with. Now I do it bi-weekly. I do have a job for every student, but they are not all daily jobs. However, they all get paid the same amount as long as they do their jobs. One of the jobs is a manager who keeps track of what jobs were completed.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote

abcxyz510

classroom jobs
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've also done a classroom economy for 4 years. I started out changing the jobs every week, and that became very overwhelming! Then this past year I moved it to one boy and one girl each day. I had their names on gems (my classroom theme is pirates) hanging on a silver book ring with a 3M command hook. Each day I flip the names to a new boy and girl. They do everything for me on that day. Of course you always have a few students who are more reliable and you can send anywhere in the school on an errand. This year was much more manageable. It seems that there is more and more placed onto our "plates" as teachers and this just made one less thing for me to manage.
abcxyz510 is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

ne of the jobs is a manager who keeps track of what jobs were completed.

I like this. I also have jobs for each students but it is such a hassle to keep track. I am going to borrow your idea this year.
Another thing that I do is to have 2 students assigned to each job. One has done it for the week before and 1 is new. SO each student has a job for 2 weeks. I as trainee and 1 as trainor.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

loverofbooks

Scholar Dollars
Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use a behavior incentive program at our school where students can earn scholar dollars based on behavior and their classroom job. They can earn money for their job, but it can be taken away for poor behavior. Then at the end of every 6 weeks, we have "Business Day" where they sell goods and can shop for goods. Too much to go into here, but it works very well and the kids absolutely LOVE it!

Each student has a job. I assign jobs at the beginning of the year and they don't change. I let the kids choose their top 3 and try to give them one of their choices. I can't imagine changing their jobs weekly or bi-weekly!

We also pay our students every Friday. Once in a while I skip it due to time, but try not to.
Some of our teachers give different amounts of pay for each job, but I just use $5.00 a week for every job. Although, some jobs are daily and some aren't. The kids never seem to mind how often they do their job.

loverofbooks is offline   Reply With Quote

CarrieMerri

Paid Vacation
Old 07-22-2011, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't have enough jobs for everyone (24 students, 22 jobs) so students get to go on a "paid vacation" at least once each year. Of course, they have to tell me where they are "going".

:-)
CarrieMerri is offline   Reply With Quote

MiamiEm324

Love it
Old 07-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a classroom job for every student and love it! To help manage it, I only change the jobs every quarter. I'll admit, some of the jobs are less useful than others, but I try to rotate who has the less valuable jobs. Every year I seem to change a few out looking for something more useful. Maybe this year I will finally find enough : )

Every student will hold a meeting manager job at some point in the year too. We have 5 morning meeting managers and 1 afternoon meeting manager (a time at the end of the day when kids acknowledge nice things others did and put that person's name in a bucket for a prize) each quarter. I love that they each get formal leadership experience that way. Even my most shy students are usually comfortable leading meetings by the end of the year after watching the routine for so long. The power of a clipboard in the hands of an eight year old is quite a site to see!
MiamiEm324 is offline   Reply With Quote

shire_grown

GREAT ideas
Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check out this post from master teacher Beth Newingham. http://blogs.scholastic.com/top_teac...s-economy.html
Great math skills embedded!
shire_grown is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachgr3

I have all students a job...
Old 07-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

but they keep the job a month. I just can't handle anything less. However, I do not pay them for it so that might not work for you. But, I LOVE only changing once a month.
luv2teachgr3 is offline   Reply With Quote