Help

Third Grade

30 kids and no help!

>

dk6spencer

30 kids and no help!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am so stressed this year. I have 30 kids and absolutely no aide. We have three sections of third grade and we are all at 30 kids, with no help coming either due to funding. I spend most of my day managing the class, with little to no instruction happening. I am desperate! Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

dk6spencer is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty11710

Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just wanted to send HUGS and I feel your pain...I am in the exact same position. 30 kids and me. Good Luck!!!
kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dutchie's Mom

I understand
Old 10-04-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have 2 classes of 26 each and it is very stressful. I also have no aide. All you can do is do your best!

What kind of management are you dealing with? behavior problems?
Send me a private message and I will tell you what I do!
Dutchie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had as many as 34 kids and I've never had an aide. I know how challenging it is to get the ball rolling when you have a large class. Do you have a behavior system in place that works well for you AND your class? There are so many options, but the key to success with any of them is that it works with your group.

This might be a good place to start....analyze your behavior system and adjust it if to fit your needs and your students. You might even have a conversation with the second grade teachers who worked with these children last year to see if they have any insight as to what was successful in their previous year of school.

I hope this is helpful.
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

hapteacher

stressed
Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check out a few webs about whole brain learning. I felt silly with the idea at first but, it was like turning on a light bulb... for an active group. Search whole brain learning the videos are very helpful. Cover grades k-12. It helped me. Best wishes I certainly relate to your problem.

hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Hasty

Have you checked into
Old 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

At my school we have high school interns and college students that come and help us. The high school kids are bused over from the high school and the college students come between classes. Can you get volunteers? I can't imagine having 30 kids. Also could you send your below grade level readers out to second grade for reading a few days a week and send the ones above grade level to fourth for a few days a week? Our librarian is taking our second graders who are well above grade level and is doing a book study with them a couple of days week. Our specials teachers (art, music,pe, etc) come in during their planning times once a week and help in our classes. Good luck to you.
Hasty is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have 28 I have never had an aide so I am not sure how much of a help it is.
I am not great at classroom management but before each activity I go over voice levels, ho work should be turned in, how to ask for help etc. I write it on the board too. I also stop everything and have them get completely quiet before we move on. Sometimes we have to stop 15 times a day but it works.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Room4Rocks

I have
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

32 and no aides. We switch for reading and lastvyear I had 42!!! Had to buy stools for them to use at the counters. I told them the PA system was like a baby monitor that the principal had on during our reading class! It worked

I use a lot of musical cues: chimes and tv theme songs are great. Theme songs, especially game show ones have an obvious ending. I tell them to beat the music getting supplies out, cleaning up, copying down homework etc.

Rick Morris has excellent teaching tools, tricks, and management. I learned a lot from hearing him and getting his books.
Room4Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

vanilla latte

You're not alone....
Old 10-05-2011, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm in the same boat, but we'll get thru it together. I keep teasing that I know that God isn't supposed to be in the public schools, but if anyone could hear my thoughts they'd hear me praying all day long!! lol
vanilla latte is offline   Reply With Quote