Help

First Grade

Supplies, supplies, supplies

>

teach8381

Supplies, supplies, supplies
Old 08-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

On the first day of school, my first graders will be coming in with all their supplies. I usually end up staying after school the first couple of weeks to get everything organized. I was looking for an easy way to organize their supplies. What are some ways that works for you? Thanks in advance!!

teach8381 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherpippi

Old 08-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My students have cubbies in which they store their supplies. On the first day of school, I have cardstock with their names in bubble letters out on the tables. I have them sit down and quietly work on decorating it as I call individual students up. We put supplies into their cubbies. I label as needed. I put all the extra supplies in a gallon Ziploc with their name on it. I put all the extra supplies in a Rubbermaid container for storage.
teacherpippi is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

My solution
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is to ask them to keep all that stuff at home since the school is required by law to provide the needed supplies. I tell the parents to use it for homework. My students have tables with baskets for shared (school supplied) supplies and almost no storage.

I have asked parents for a box of tissues, a box of crackers for snacks, and a ream of photocopy paper (I sometimes get filler paper instead that I share with the upper grades).
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Back to school night
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My school has a back to school night. Students come with their parents and supplies. They meet me, see the room and their parents help put their supplies away. Things like Kleenex, gym shoes, glue sticks, plates, ziplock bags are put in bins that I have labeled around the room. Everything else goes in their desk.

It's great because it's then up the parents to help take things out of the packages! I usually only have 1 or 2 students that don't come and so on the first day of school, I have them put their stuff away at morning recess.

So easy! If you don't have a back to school night, I would do as one other poster said, give them something to work on and take one or two at a time to put things away.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

buffett fan

Old 08-11-2012, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I put a gallon ziplock bag on everybody's desk that I have already labeled with names. As students unpack school bags the extra supplies go right into the bag. I have a drawer where I keep all the bags.

buffett fan is offline   Reply With Quote

cathy3

Supplies
Old 08-12-2012, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our kids bring their supplies the first day of school ... This year I was thinking of having labeled bins around the room for the community supplies, and a list on the board for what stays ON their desk ... I would invite the parents to come into the room on that first morning and get their child's supplies opened and sorted. After they leave, I would work with the class to put the things IN their desk. I teach them how I want their desk organized at this time. I like the idea of having large zip-locks on hand, and black sharpies for labeling. (I've never had the parents come in and help with this before, but I have 8 siblings of former students, so I know a lot of my parents, already ... And it would cut down on my time and the kids' time that is usually taken up with supplies management!
cathy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

collinscrew

Supplies
Old 08-13-2012, 11:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I label bins around the room too! It helps tremendously.
collinscrew is offline   Reply With Quote