Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Let's play Peoples Court

>

bonnybelle

Let's play Peoples Court
Old 08-03-2015, 06:49 PM

I heard from my son in Southern California this morning he had just been the middle car in a three car crash on the 105 . he was rear ended by a pickup truck that threw him into a third car. Turns out the driver of the pickup truck had no registration, no drivers license, don't be surprised wait for it ..... no proof of insurance . SO, the CHP was called to the scene . The report was taken. The driver of that truck unlicensed , uninsured driver was allowed to leave from the site without proving he was the owner of that car.he provide an ID card but no photo ID. Did I mention that I think that car should have been impounded.?

There's no way of knowing if his ID was valid his California ID. I think that car should have been impounded .can anybody chime in on this because I need to vent . DS now has no transportation and it's in the hands of the insurance company I'd like to know your opinion about this man driving off after the accident in my mind he clearly should have had his car impounded please help me understand on what grounds would someone be permitted to leave the scene of an accident without any legal authorization to drive a car. In California you are supposed to have insurance and a driver's license to operate a car in the streets

bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyteachmath

sil
Old 08-03-2015, 07:01 PM

My SiL was involved in an accident similar to that. she was the middle vehicle, but everyone had insurance. The car that she hit sued her insurance and in turn her insurance sued the truck that hit her forcing her into the front car.

I think that if the truck that hit your DH didn't have insurance it will be difficult to receive any type of restitution.

I was rear ended by a teenager driving his father's truck a few years ago, he had an insurance card but his insurance was expired. We never received any payment for our vehicle from him. Nothing was done to the boy. The police came, but since he had an insurance card and it was late Saturday evening, he had us exchange info and we didn't hear back from our insurance until Monday.
Kyteachmath is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Crazy
Old 08-03-2015, 07:05 PM

They let the guy drive off? They let him drive off with no license, no registration, no insurance? That is ridiculous in my mind. I can't believe that was allowed! At the same time, though, I don't think there's anything you can do about it!

(((((HUGS))))) for your son! What a stressful situation.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM

I'm appalled they let him drive off to rear end someone else. The car should have been impounded and he should have been arrested. I do t know what that cop was thinking.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Insurance
Old 08-03-2015, 07:11 PM

I was hit two years ago by a 19 yr old who gave us all his information. Turns out he "forgot" to tell us that he had just cancelled his insurance. It turned out to benefit us in the long run. If he had been insured, I would have needed to pay our deductible but because he wasn't, my deductible was waived.

Not sure about the driving off and not impounding thing. I'd have to ask DH but he's not home.(I'll email him and post anything useful).

Honestly, it's probably a CA thing because in this state you aren't allowed to hold anyone responsible for their actions. It might hurt their self-esteem or feelings. Major sarcasm intended!

LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM

The laws clear you'd have to have a license and insurance to drive in California . I don't know how this guy got away with it. thanks for the confirmation that my son is a little bit taking in a hard life lesson. I wish I knew the valid reason why that man was allowed by The CHP to leave with his vehicle.

bonnybelle

Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM

Your reply just made my day you hit .it on the nail on the head . oh my god if that's not the reason it's a good enough one for me.

bonnybelle

Old 08-03-2015, 07:21 PM

The man lost his head light in the accident maybe the next CHP guy will pull him over for a fix it ticket and ask him how he lost his head light and maybe he'll impound his car because he has no headlight I like venting without punctuation it makes me happy

LuvMyRatties

According to DH
Old 08-03-2015, 07:32 PM

He is in law enforcement here in CA so I had him read your post and this is what he responded...

Even if the driver was unlicensed, CHP may have not impounded the vehicle if it wasn't his. Also, there's no provision in the Vehicle Code for impounding for lack of insurance. If this guy borrowed the car, the owner is under no obligation to determine his license status.

LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

glad you have insurance
Old 08-03-2015, 08:36 PM

Glad everyone is okay .

123rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 08-03-2015, 09:52 PM

So it's pretty clear that the owner of the car may well be held responsible for this if that man was not the owner. thank you for the insider information.

funkster

I do believe
Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM

that the pickup truck would have been impounded here and I believe that without insurance card, license and reg. the driver would have been brought to the police station. Police officers have computers in every car. They would have looked up his ID and if a picture matching his name didn't come up, off he would go. They would also run the license plate and find out who the owner was. Seems like your police officer dropped the ball, big time. What tickets were issued?
*I know it is different in other areas. Where my son lives they publish a Police Blotter in the local paper. DH and I read it and giggle because we almost never see a ticket issued, all stops seem to be settled by the police officer giving them "a serious talking to." oh that so doesn't happen here.

In my opinion that driver is gone, and you won't find him again. Sorry, so unfair.
funkster is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

If your son has uninsured motorist's
Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 PM

coverage, turn it over to them. Did you get his license plate number? Chances are they will never find him.

If you can get a witness to say that the truck pushed him into the car in front of him, he won't be liable for that, either. I once saw that exact accident. I stopped and gave the driver in the middle care my phone number. His insurance company interviewed me. He was not held liable.

As for whether his car should have been impounded, one would think so, but there are new laws in CA as to impounding vehicles. Here is some info on that issue:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...ensed-drivers/

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/csp/med...id=555&fid=181

It does seem like someone else should have driven the car home for him. T
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-04-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
If you can get a witness to say that the truck pushed him into the car in front of him, he won't be liable for that, either.
This isn't always true in CA. Sometimes they determine the middle car is at fault, too, because it was not far enough back from the car in front of it. I'm not saying this is the case, but I know for a fact that it is not true the middle car is never liable.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

You may be right, amiga13.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:51 PM

In the accident I saw, the middle car had already come to a full stop about two feet behind the other car and was literally rammed into that car by the one that rear-ended it. That may be why the driver wasn't found liable. And of course, most people wouldn't have done what I did, i.e., take the time to give him my name and phone number.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 PM

Very kind of you, Clarity, to share your info. I was once hit when a guy ran a red light. He later denied it. Fortunately witnesses had offered their info. They were teachers, too.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 PM

Well we don't wish this on anyone else. I have not heard how the accident report is processing. just glad no one was injured. thank you for all the feedback here.
it seems like this really touches a chord with folks.