Help

Kindergarten

Behavior during whole group time

>

kindergirl88

Behavior during whole group time
Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a few students who really struggle during whole group instruction. Behaviors include yelling out, making noises, wanting to lie down, trying to talk to other students, flat out not paying attention, etc. It can be very disrupting and is so unfair for the rest of the kids who are really trying to pay attention.

Does anyone have any tips? I do have an assistant in my room so sometimes I have them go sit by her it they are too disruptive. We also have a color chart and I move their clips down. Students do have assigned seating on the carpet so I can split up the rowdy ones.

Just curious to know if anyone else has some ideas because I have tried everything I can think of!

Thank you!

kindergirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-15-2015, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a sped teacher you can talk to? Ours is really helpful with resources for our wiggly/struggling kids. She has things like sit spots, weighted pillows, etc. and for some kids it can make all the difference. Also, for some kids I give them the option of sitting on the rug with us or sitting on a chair (but still close to the group so they are part of the lesson). Unfortunately those are the kids that moving a clip down does absolutely nothing.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 10-15-2015, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are there consequences such loss of pri ledges for preferred activities? Get ' em where they live. No respect /
. No computer
bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

jacque/Wa/K-1

Old 10-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Personally, I'd get rid of the clip system. Work on forming those close relationships, but also make clear consequences for not complying. Send them to their table for short periods of time and then invite them back after 5 minutes or less to try again. Be firm, matter-of-fact and very consistent. Once they feel that you love them, they will try their best...it may not always work, but hopefully you and they will be working towards the same goal. Be sure they feel that you are on their side....grant extra choice time for good behavior, cut it short for poor behavior.
jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiffany

behavior
Old 10-17-2015, 12:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Set expectations for behavior and be consistent in follow through. Teach a lesson on how to listen with your entire body. Make an anchor chart and refer to it before each whole group lesson. When they don't comply after a gentle reminder, send them back to their seat to put their head down. Then during free choice or recess, have them practice showing you how to sit on the carpet, be quiet, etc. Start with 5 minutes and increase from there for each offense. I always tell them that if they waste my teaching time, I get some of their play time.

Check out Class Dojo. I use it instead of a clip chart. Parents love that they can have instant communication about their child's behavior.

Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Proximity to the Teacher & No Negative Clip Chart
Old 10-17-2015, 05:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Proximity to the teacher is key!

These four students should be seated close to you on the front room bc

they will be so close to you that they will not act out or get un focused & if they do you can get them quickly back on track with "the look" or any subtle gesture.

Also I would get rid of the negative, public display of misbehavior clip chart system bc it focus attention on misbehaving.

I use a postive system that focus on what is being done correctly & reward buck to reinforce postive behavior.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote