The Job Search

Never heard back from Interview

>

maggiedav

Never heard back from Interview
Old 10-16-2015, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good Morning Everyone!

So I went on an interview last Friday 10/9 for a 4th grade position in my hometown. I'll be honest, it didn't go well. I don't think my answers were bad but I was SO nervous, I didn't let her see my real personality. I smiled and was friendly, but I'm sure I looked really reserved (and boring). It was my first ever teacher interview so my nerves were through the roof. I e-mailed the Principal the next morning thanking her for her time and explaining my passion to teach, learn, and grow and with the right principal and team guiding me, I know I will succeed. I also asked a few follow up questions (I was so nervous, I only asked 1 during the interview). Well, a week later and I haven't heard anything. Should I reach out again or count it as a loss?

maggiedav is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

Old 10-16-2015, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Did you ask when they would make their decision? They might still be interviewing, otherwise it doesnt look too good sorry.

I feel for you. I had a very simular interview last month and didnt get the job. Dont lose hope! They could still be interviewing, otherwise there are other jobs out there! I still have ny fingers cross that there will be a teacher retiring soon.
sblief is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiedav

Old 10-16-2015, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

She said last Friday that I would hear back this week.
They have 3 positions open in the district & I applied for the other 2 as well (at a different school). I'm praying the principals don't talk and she tells them how horrible I was at the interview lol! I KNOW I can do better.

With the 4th grade position, I received a call for an interview the day after I applied. For these other 2 positions I haven't gotten a call for an interview & it's been several days.

I'm not a very patient person, can you tell?

Oncidium

Old 10-16-2015, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

On thing, principals do talk.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

Old 10-16-2015, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I completely understand!! Im seriously in the exact same position! I keep applying with no calls, then I bomb the interviews I do get because of nerves!

My advice would be to sub. Ive been subbing for about 2 months and its getting me noticed. Also if you subbed at a school then had an interview there, you would feel alot more at ease

broomrider

Interviewing is a pain
Old 10-16-2015, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and a totally separate skill from teaching.

If your nerves are getting in your way, you might try doing as some extra interviews to desensitize yourself. You can even apply for non-teaching jobs just for the interview practice. Don't do tons because you are taking up the time of busy HR folks, but doing some may help steady you and make you familiar with the generic interview questions as well as thinking on your seat to answer other questions.

Subbing is a good way to learn about where you do and do not want to work in your district as well as to become familiar with some of the curriculum used.

You might also consider relocating. There are many states which are staffing classrooms with substitutes because they can't get fully credentials teachers to work there. Of course, there are reasons for this, such as low pay and lack of job protections--but these can be places to start, to get experience and then to move where you would prefer to be.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiedav

Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately subbing/aiding is out of the picture right now since it doesn't pay enough to pay my bills. Relocating also isn't feasible since I own a home. It's not easy to sell & pack up. I wish it were! It's hard being single & supporting yourself. If I could make subbing work, I definitely would. I still haven't heard anything. Should I reach out again or would that be bugging her?

sblief

Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You could possibly reach out again, but to me it sounds like you didnt get it maybe you could volunteer in schools to get your foot in the door, or possibly do a before/after school job if available?

I just applied for a job that opened 3 days ago and havent heard anything. I feel like Im going crazy! I completely understand your frustration! I really really hope something comes up for you soon!!!

maggiedav

Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's been over 2 weeks, so I'm pretty positive I didn't get it! lol
I hate that I never received a response either way though. It would have been nice to get an email saying I didn't get it, just to put my mind at ease. I never heard back on the other 2 positions either so I'm wondering if the principal I met said I wasn't any good.

I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't get it. There are so many teachers there that I know, that I went to school with, that were MY teachers. So I'm a bit ashamed that I wasn't good enough. I know if I got a job, I'd do everything I could to succeed, I just didn't do a good job of showing that in the interview.

Oh well, I'm going to keep trying! Good luck to you too sblief! Let me know how it goes.

cominback

practice makes perfect!
Old 10-26-2015, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You might try searching the web for possible interview questions and practice your answers. Also try to write down questions you were asked at each interview you go on and then work on better answers. I actually paid for some help here: http://resumes-for-teachers.com/Teac...rview-Edge.php
I think it was worth it.

cominback is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 11-30-2015, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I interviewed a dozen times last spring/early summer. I say for the majority of the cases I never heard back from any...they did tell you when you should know if you were picked though. Only 3 schools informed me I didn't get it, usually via email...So think this:no news equals their loss.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote