Help

First Grade

Kids off the wall in last weeks of school

>

cominback

Kids off the wall in last weeks of school
Old 05-21-2016, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been doing a long term sub in first grade since Dec. It's a great class with very few behavior issues. But in the second to last week of school, some students are doing things they never did before, such as running around the room, constantly talking, and simply not listening to anything I say. We have one week of school left. I want it to be fun, but I'm afraid of totally losing control if I don't get really tough on them. I know they need to move and get energy out, but how can we do fun activities if they are bouncing off the wall? I'm thinking of having a class meeting on Monday morning to discuss expectations/consequences and practice behaviors. Maybe I should call parents, have some quiet music/meditation time, or start using a time out area? Any suggestions?

cominback is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 05-21-2016, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I like the idea of having a meeting and meditation time (short though)!
Also, has your schedule changed at all? It might be the more relaxed routines because school is ending. If that's the case, I would return to your normal routines and designate "fun" time during a certain time that they have to earn. If they are running around and being disrespectful, they do not get fun time. I hope that helps!
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote

brigita

I tell them
Old 05-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that only those who are following the rules and being respectful will get to participate in the fun activities that day. If they choose not to do what is expected of them, then they have to sit out and either watch while the others have fun or they do a writing assignment writing what will they do next time to earn the fun activity. I hope this helps. In my opinion, this behavior is normal at this time of year. I feel that it is their way of detaching from you and the classroom. Change is stressful and scary for some children and they don't know how to express it properly. Hang in there--you're almost there!
brigita is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 05-29-2016, 01:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was going to say it's the weather. Around here, they all desperately want to be outside at this time of year, and their patience for school is thin.

But I also think this is a really good observation:

Quote:
...In my opinion, this behavior is normal at this time of year. I feel that it is their way of detaching from you and the classroom. Change is stressful and scary for some children and they don't know how to express it properly...
I love the idea of music in the classroom, either as a short meditation time to start the day or as background to independent work. I might add a story time as well, if you can find the right book about the end of school. Maybe with a writing activity to help them express their feelings?
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Wavy

Wavy

Try Brain Breaks
Old 05-29-2016, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

90 seconds running in place;
30 seconds of standing silently
90 seconds jumping jacks;
30 seconds of standing silently
90 seconds running in place/other activity.

Also, if you can try to give kids a 2nd recess.

cominback

Thanks
Old 06-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

For all the helpful advice and ideas! I went back to a more normal schedule and that seemed to help. We also had a class meeting and talked about how we were feeling about school ending.
cominback is offline   Reply With Quote