Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Appliances - buy cheap or not

>

Hifiman

Appliances - buy cheap or not
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32 AM

Our much hated Samsung dishwasher gave up again last night. I won't bother seeing if it can be fixed. I will replace after school. So shopping online I'm looking at Bosch and Kitchenaid dishwashers, but you know how it is. Many love them, but then there are the low ratings mudding the waters. I called a local appliance store for pricing and the guy warns me that appliances aren't made to last anymore. Yeah, I know. But that got me thinking. If they don't last should I just look at low end models or stick with higher end (not the extreme)? Maybe a difference of $300 between the two ranges. What do you think?

Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 AM

I love my Bosch because we have very hard water and it has a built in water softener If it wasn't for this one feature, I'm not sure if it would be worth the extra. It was my first dishwasher so I don't have anything to compare it to. It is extremely quiet but not sure what noisy ones sound like. We only use one setting on it for every load.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I Buy In The Middle
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 AM

We are on our second Bosch. I really like them because they are quiet. I don't know how long the first one lasted because me sold that house sorry. We like buying appliances online from a company called ABT. Check it out and see if their prices are better than local ones.

http://www.abt.com/category/13/Appli...tm_source=bing
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

Abbigal

middle range price
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM

I don't know about which brand would be best, but I prefer to buy around the middle range of pricing when I have to choose appliances.

Also, I when choosing appliances, I seriously try to keep in mind exactly why I need the appliance. I don't need 6 or more washing choices on my dishwasher. I mainly use only 1 choice on my dishwasher for the wash cycle and 1 choice for the dry cycle.

Same goes for washer and dryer, I mainly use 2-3 choices. I don't need a hand wash basin, or see through doors. I've never invited company to stand infront of my washer or dryer to view what's going on these appliances!

I don't select the cheapest, but go with a middle/low middle range..keeping in mind that I am not buying the appliance "for show" or entertainment!
Abbigal is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, but I usually get one model up from the bottom of the line. Except for an ice maker/water dispenser on the fridge, I absolutely do not care about bells & whistles on my appliances. I want a washer/dryer and dishwasher to wash, an oven to cook, and a microwave to heat. I hate lots of special options that break or just stop working.

Examples:
*We're on our second set (in 42 years) of washer/dryer. They're GE, top-load washer, plain white, bottom of line. They wash and dry clothes. And they've never had a service call.
*Our dishwasher is 25 years old. I got a Maytag because I believed the lonely repairman ads. It worked. And I don't need superquiet because we don't usually watch TV in the kitchen or run the DW when guests are here. Like Abbigal,
Quote:
I am not buying the appliance "for show" or entertainment!
*My 25-year-old built-in GE microwave died 2 months ago. I got the new version of the same thing. I like GE.

However, I would love to have a Viking or Wolf range. I still would go for bottom of line.

I know most people here disagree with me and want fancy, but I'm frugal and I don't need fancy appliances. I just want them to work.

ETA: 1956, thanks for the link. I love buying online and saved it.

Last edited by amiga13; 05-09-2017 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Read your posts.
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Patticake1300

Bosch
Old 05-09-2017, 08:07 AM

I researched and also looked into Consumer Reports, and I purchased a Bosch. I love it!! It's VERY quiet and does a nice job. I had a KitchenAid prior and it was a piece of junk. I only had it about 5 years and all the plastic pieces started breaking.

Good Luck!
Patticake1300 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 05-09-2017, 08:09 AM

I buy the least expensive model that has all the features I want. I figure if there are fewer bells and whistles, there are fewer things to break. I've had Kenmore and GE and LG and all have been fine, 15+ years for all of them. I have a dishwasher right now that is over 20 years old and I keep hoping it will break because I want a new one but don't feel like I can justify a new one when this one washes dishes just fine (it's showing it's age in looks not in functionality)

My very wealthy BIL always buys the least expensive model of a reputable brand (not high end brand, reputable). One of my friends remodeled her kitchen and got the most expensive fancy dishwasher that was made. She hated it! She had to wash all the dishes before putting them in and basically just used it as a sanitizer She didn't feel she could get rid of it though because it cost so much money.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 AM

The only 2 things I will look for when I buy my next dishwasher is low noise and a rinse cycle. My son has the rinse cycle and it's great! Uses less water than rinsing in sink. We dont run it everyday so I like to rinse to keep odors down.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Maytag
Old 05-09-2017, 10:24 AM

I used to buy Maytag. Then I bought a washing machine that broke down after less than five years. I found out it was made in Mexico. The repairman seemed to think that made a difference. It was not the bottom of the line or the top. After three expensive repairs we chunked it and bought a different brand. Not sure what kind. My parents used to buy Maytag and had good luck so that's what I did for years. Not any more.

Read consumer reports. That helps.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Sears Kenmore!
Old 05-09-2017, 11:12 AM

I have all Sears Kenmore appliances. My dryer is almost 23 years old. The washer is newer, only because my mom overloaded it with blankets and it gave up the ghost. I have never had any problems with Kenmore products other than the broken down washer. It was 20 years old when it died.
Kathy

spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Middle of the road
Old 05-09-2017, 11:17 AM

Our appliance repairman recommended the middle of the road. Not the best or the cheapest. It might also depend on what features you need or want. My Kitchenaid dishwasher has been fine. I wanted a stainless steel inside, so that was important to me at the time.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Maestra

Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM

We have a kitchenaid and really like it. It has a 3rd rack at the top and we really like that feature. We did buy from Sears because they price matched. Sears Kenmore has a model made by KitchenAid. Our salesperson had one at her house and loved it.
Maestra is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

low to mid grade
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM

My opinion is that higher end models have more features that drive the price up. If you can talk to someone that does appliance repair, they might be able to tell you about difference in quality. For example, one appliance may have plastic parts where another might have metal. This day and age, you could probably just google that by brand and model. Also, an appliance that has more features than you need seems like a deal, but that is also more that can go wrong with the appliance.

We bought a low end dishwasher from Amazon, I think it was about 5 years ago. We are very happy with it, but there are there is a flaw that I can live with. The utensil basket is cracking on the bottom and flatware is starting to fall through. The easy fix for that was to put the top piece back on it because no only does that spread the utensil apart, it prevents them from hitting the bottom of the basket. We took it out because not having it allows us to put in smaller serving utensils as well. I looked a couple months ago, and I can replace that basket for around $11. No biggie. That one is still functional after five years, another $11 for the next five years won't hurt me.
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM

We bought my son and his wife a Bosch dishwasher. They LOVE it! It's super quiet and cleans perfectly.

I should issue a dog alert if you happen to buy this dishwasher. It has a tiny red light that shines on the floor directly under the dishwasher to indicate that the washer is operating. My son's Mastiff went crazy trying attack and destroy that red dot. We thought it was funny but DS soon tired of the game.

Long story short, the dishwasher is great!

Last edited by Renea; 05-09-2017 at 01:30 PM..
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 05-09-2017, 12:42 PM

I bought my last dishwasher off of Craigslist for 75 bucks. It's a Whirlpool and cleans my dishes just fine. For $75 I don't mind if it dies in a few years. I've had it for at least 3 years now and it's still working.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM

My house was built I believe in 1951 or 1961.. regardless.. our oven and range are still the original. They still work and I refuse to replace them until they go. They are between 50-60 years old and still are doing cook to perfection. We've remodeled the entire house including the kitchen but I kept the old fashioned stove and oven. I love the vintage feel, as well as the fact that I think this stuff could last another 50 years.
SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Appliances
Old 05-09-2017, 02:18 PM

I agree to buy for what you need, not bells and whistles.

One thing about Bosch: good appliances BUT, they are made in Germany and after a few years, parts are impossible to get. I LOVED my Bosch stove/oven. The control pad went out and it was going to cost over $400 to replace it. I bought a new one from Sears.

And, I prefer Sears to Home Depot or Costco.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 05-09-2017, 03:28 PM

I love my Bosch dishwasher! And I bought it at ABT! It is my favorite store for appliances. We just stop there to browse. If you are ever in Illinois, you should stop there 1956BD.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

msamyb

Just curious
Old 05-10-2017, 03:22 PM

What did you end up going with?

When we built our house 13 years ago we went with more expensive GE Monogram appliances. We've had to have various parts fixed or replaced over the years and it's been expensive. Now I'm questioning if repairing or buying new is the way to go for the future. Good debate.
msamyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I haven't bought yet
Old 05-10-2017, 03:25 PM

I decided I was very likely to go with Bosch. I got home before heading out to the store and decided to take a look at it. It turned out to be an easy fix, at least for the moment, but I'm waiting to see if it still works a few loads down the road.

Oh, and I decided to go middle to low-end. I usually like to by the best I can afford, but I'm just not feeling like doing that with disposable appliances.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote