The VENT

I, of course, am different

>

OverItToo

OverItToo

I, of course, am different
Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Yes, dear parent, even though all 149 other children managed to do their IN CLASS project we worked on for THREE DAYS, IN CLASS , TOGETHER, ON SCHOOL COMPUTERS THAT EACH CHILD HAS, I understand completely that TWO WEEKS LATER your child has told you she has a zero because she "can't get to the website to complete her homework" (homework according to you being that in class project from two weeks ago whose websites are fully accessible)

OMG so ridiculous. There is no excuse for a zero on a project we did in class. That's why all of our projects are done in class. I don't need to grade what your mom and dad can do for you. I need to grade what you can do. And I can't trust you to take it home. But now apparently I can't trust you to do it in class either.

And yes, before you ask, dear teachers, I am walking around and checking that everyone's screens are on the right thing. But kids can flip an F key and change screens faster than you know. And I can't do anything more unless I do the project FOR them.

EyeSeeTwo

Old 10-28-2018, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yeppers my baby child is so special. Says the parents

I feel your angst!

Our school finally purchased a screen monitor where the teacher could see the screens of all the students on one oGe and we had the ability to type a text message to individual students, block browsing and defeat student web wandering. It was so cool!

I had more than one Chrome Book thrown at me by a student pissed off that I shut down their meanderings to inappropriate sites.
EyeSeeTwo is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Screen monitor
Old 10-29-2018, 01:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

EyeSeeTwo, tell me about the screen monitor. The only way I've figured out to stop student from web-wandering is to stand behind them so I have all their screens in my field of vision. Of course, as soon as I move, the wanderers move from screen to screen. Sigh.
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Spedhed

Old 10-29-2018, 02:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Please tell me about the screen monitor as well. My admin mentioned this but hasnít gotten further with it, and Iíd like to nudge them in the right direction with an actual name of the software.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Love the screen monitoring
Old 10-29-2018, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have screen monitoring here for the tablets our students use. It is pretty awesome when we need to use it as I can block so much and only allow the student(s) on specific sites. Our school IT has locked out a lot of the outside network issues with the tablets too and that helps. Blocking Youtube at the grade levels I work with has been pretty nice too. The teacher devices aren't locked down like that and our LMS allows me to embed videos if needed for a lesson.

Maybe you can ask your school if something like this is available for your devices??

teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 10-29-2018, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use Crostini. It doesn't let us block websites for individual students (I wish! That would be awesome!) but it does let us send them messages and close tabs.

Our kids hate it, too.
southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Beige

Old 10-29-2018, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My school uses GoGuardian. It allows me to see what the screens, browsing history, and disable their browsers. My kids havenít caught on yet that I can see what they are doing....even though I end disabled browsers for more than one student.
Mrs. Beige is offline   Reply With Quote

Surly

1-to-1
Old 10-30-2018, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Is implemented so poorly at so many schools, mostly because it has the fingerprints of the let kids do whatever they want policymakers all of it. This means no common-sense restrictions or monitoring of kids' behavior with these devices. As a result, the proliferation of these devices just opens up a whole new world of cheating and excuses. It's just another layer that teachers have to work through to get kids to do real work.

The worst part is that kids are so enabled and the precedent to expect nothing of kids and to let them do whatever they want is so entrenched that you're kind of expected, as an adult who isn't a complete idiot, to pretend take their lame, implausible tech excuses for late work seriously, even though they're all clearly not true.
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
dutchgirl
Old 10-30-2018, 06:37 PM
This message has been deleted by dutchgirl. Reason: Double post

dutchgirl

Old 10-30-2018, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our district uses Lanschool for teachers to monitor students. It works pretty well, but nothing is perfect! Kids are fast! I have the same problem with students wasting work time in class. I usually have 20 to 30 minutes of work time, and some kids just refuse to do the work anyway. I refuse to fight middle school kids any more. I make note that they are off task, give a reminder, and then let them blow it. They can choose to have a failing grade.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote