BusyBoard

Comparing Fractions- 3rd grade

>

Teachkids1234

Comparing Fractions- 3rd grade
Old 11-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Everyone!

I currently teach Kindergarten but unexpectedly received a call for a third grade position in my dream school. I will be doing a demo lesson (15-20 minutes) on comparing fractions. Any suggestions or fun activities? Any help will be greatly appreciated ❤️

Teachkids1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

owl98

Old 11-03-2018, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you gather the students in an open circle?
Place 0, 1/2, 1 (if you want to get tricky also place 2) written on index cards on the floor- like a number line but with fractions- leaving room for them to place other fractions in between.
Write benchmark fractions on other index cards like 1/4, 2/4, 2/4 etc. on other index card- don’t start with too many- even just the fraction 1/4 can lead to a 15 minute discussion.
Show 1/4 to the group. Ask them to give a thumbs up if they know where to place that card on the number line. Ask one of the students that thinks they know to place it down. Once they do, ask the group if they agree, disagree or if they are not sure of the answer by showing thumbs up, thumbs down, or thumbs sideways.
If there is disagreement, ask them why do they think the fraction 1/4 is larger than 1/2? Why?
Continue until all of the fractions you’d like to compare are placed on the line.
I have done this for years with my students and it is always eye opening the level of understanding.
Good luck on your interview.
owl98 is offline   Reply With Quote

AJ

Old 11-03-2018, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are some good lessons in here:
https://www.georgiastandards.org/Geo...ath-Unit-5.pdf

https://www.pdesas.org/ContentWeb/Co.../Lesson%20Plan
AJ is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-04-2018, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would use manipulatives.

http://surfingtosuccess.org/2017/03/...fractions.html
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 11-04-2018, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a lot involved in comparing fractions and the kids need to have a lot of knowledge of related topics before they are ready to do it-that is why I teach it near the end of the year. Be sure the class already has some knowledge of what fractions are before you try comparing them.

I would start by building on prior knowledge (and reminding those who have forgotten it) of comparing numbers for a few minutes at the beginning of the lesson in a fun and engaging way- like doing the HOllabaloo song on Go noodle or YouTube by the blazer fresh crew.

Then rehash that fractions are made when 1 whole thing is broken into pieces-I like to use those chocolate oranges for this since the edible nature gets their attention and the orange comes as 1 whole and then easily separates into equal slices but make sure that there aren't food allergies.

Now you can cut each chocolate orange slice in half and talk about how there are now twice as many parts in the whole so the bottom number on the fraction is now twice as much but that each 2 cut parts equal 1 slice before it was cut. Then write it out 2/8 equals 1/4. Then show how 1/8 is obviously less than 1/4

Then I would nand out manipulatives and have the kids work pairs on the topic and provide them a simple worksheet with partitioned shapes that they can color and compare fractions on (like a page with 2 circles-one partitioned into fourths and one partitioned into eighths and fractions written as 2/4 and 3 eighths that they can color and add their greater than symbol to.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote