Help

Special Education

What do you do when...

>

Snowflake29

What do you do when...
Old 11-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

You have a student who could probably use a behavior chart of some sort but since he is in gen ed for most of the time youíd have to rely on the gen ed teacher to follow through?

Iíve noticed when I ask the gen ed teachers to follow a behavior chart they always forget/ arenít consistent. I really like this teacher and she is new to our school (not a new teacher though) so I know sheís probably overwhelmed to begin with.

Also, I canít rely on this student to self monitor his behavior or keep track of his own chart because he is very disorganized (we are working on it) .. they have flexible seating so they change desks everyday so anything I give him will get lost in the shuffle.

Behaviors I want him to work on are:
Active listening skills
Not drawing during instruction
Following directions with less prompts

Snowflake29 is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As a gen ed teacher: I do get annoyed when someone suggests that I check in with a student every 10-15 minutes all day long. I really can't find time to do that on a regular basis. Checking in at the end of each period I could probably do, but depending on the age of the student, I would put it on them. And if they didn't check in with me, then I would not give them any "credit" toward the reward.

I am sure the gen ed teacher has something they do in their class. Can't you put the student on a behavior chart for your class time? If the gen teacher is seeing similar issues, maybe they would work with you.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 11-12-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes the gen ed teacher uses a clip system as her classroom management system. I just donít this my student finds any motivation in this. I guess I could try to use more incentives if he clips up.

Unfortunately most of his support in in class but itís not always me supporting (typically an instructional assistant). He only comes to my classroom for an hour a week. I suppose I could have the instructional assistant monitor the behavior chart.

Spedhed

Old 11-13-2018, 03:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Does she have an Apple Watch or Fitbit? Sometimes you can set those to go off at certain times as reminders to do certain things.
Spedhed is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 11-13-2018, 06:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would say that those 3 things are something an instructional assistance could also help monitor. Have the student rate himself periodically with the IA for your behavior chart. Reward him in your class for meeting goals or improving.

kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 11-13-2018, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If there is a para in there that would be a perfect task for her to do. We have our paras help with behavior charts whenever possible. This year my P threw a fit about all of our sped behavior students and got two full time paras, which is unheard of around here. We use them almost exclusively for helping with behavior in the classrooms. I'm honestly still adjusting to it because I'm not used to having extra support for these things!

In the past, I've tried to work with the teacher on something that is more manageable and suits their preferences. Most kids get some kind of score/rating/check in etc. at the end of each subject. Most of these kids are part of check in/check out so their chart is reviewed with them by someone else (psych or counselor usually, sometimes me) and then the data is entered into google charts so it can be graphed.

If the teacher is just simply not willing to do it, I honestly let it go unless it's a case where I really need the data- like perhaps when we're trying to change the child's placement. I figure I've done all I can do by offering the suggestions and support, and if they'd rather do their own thing, that's fine. I use whatever works in my room during my instruction. Perhaps the behavior doesn't bother them as much or they have something else they feel works better.

I share a student with an interventionist this year and she constantly complains about his behavior. I have a system in my room that works pretty well for him- and it's not really even a "different setting-" we're both doing small pull out groups and she actually has the same exact group as I do; I have them in the afternoons and she has them in the mornings. I've explained the system to her multiple times, offered to let her have the materials for the morning, and offered to let her come see it in my room. She always says she'll "think about it" and then just continues to complain. At this point I feel like I've done my due diligence and the ball is in her court.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Snowflake29

Old 11-15-2018, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks for your tips!!

I ended up starting a super basic and easy to manage sticker chart with the student. So far he is super motivated by it. I am having it monitored by myself or my para when we are in the classroom with the student. Iím hoping eventually we can make it more of a ďcheck inĒ system that the gen ed teacher can incorporate when SPED support is not with the student.

He had a great day yesterday so Iím feeling positive and motivated about it.