Help

The VENT

Hate Teaching or...

>

BioEducator87

Hate Teaching or...
Old 10-07-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know if I hate teaching or if it's just the school that I work at that makes me hate my job. I'm tired of feeling stressed out and unappreciated. Plus, my administrators are micro-managers and treat teachers like we're children. I've been trying to switch to different schools with no success. I have also applied to non-teaching jobs, again with no success. I just feel so discouraged at times and want to give up. I like working with my students, but hate all the other stuff that comes along with the job. I would like to enjoy my evenings and weekends without worrying about my job or doing work at home.

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

omacrulzzz

You could parapro
Old 10-07-2019, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could be a parapro. Big pay cut, but you get to teach kids without all the extra work. Or maybe try private school or online teaching. Its probably not you btw. There's a reason so many of us are burnt out nowadays.
omacrulzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It could be the wrong school, or it could be that teaching isn't for you. It's hard to tell. There are times that I've been stressed out and unappreciated, but it has never been enough that I've thought it would be any better elsewhere. (My friends in other careers also complain about micromanagement or stress.)

Keep trying to look elsewhere, and maybe it will be better.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tounces

Yep
Old 10-07-2019, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know how you feel. I took off two years and decided to substitute teach. It was a nice break. Cut in pay unfortunately. Actually appreciated though. Qualified for free medical. Iím counting down til retirement. Teaching is not what it used to be. Too many extra things required so time is taken away from doing the actual teaching. I used to even be able to plan really good lessons.
Good luck.
Tounces is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Tough decision...
Old 10-07-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would be willing to bet that it is all the associated work that is coming attached to teaching is draining you dry. I could have written a good deal of your post before I chose to retire. So much of the professional autonomy and creativity that I loved earlier in my career was gone. Administrators are so worried about data and jumping on every bandwagon with methodology that it is difficult to master and stay on top of it all. There was always something coming due and so many endless meetings where it seemed like more and more was introduced with no responsibilities removed. And I hated the coaching cycles, professional development that often took us out of the classroom and writing sub plans, observations by a principal who didn't get me, and the administrative walk-throughs.

In retirement, I finally get to enjoy my weekends and evenings. I have been out going on two years now, and I still feel so blessed to have that time. I hope you examine your options and if you decide to get out of teaching, you find a career that can utilize your talents without sapping your energy. Personal time is so important, but difficult to get with teaching these days. I wish you the best.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote