The VENT

Micromanaging

>

Logout

Logout

Micromanaging
Old 10-22-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am one of 4 k teachers I'm new to the team. The lead teacher has been teaching k for 20 years. I've been teaching k for 6, but overall since 2002. For writing, she does a Me Bag where the kids take home a bag and put a toy in it, share it, then the kids write about it. I chose not to do it this way but I am still doing sharing and writing.

Last week my admin pops in while we are doing writing and she sends me an email asking why I am not doing what the other k teachers are doing and she wants me to explain how I am using my way if writing to promote academic discourse and authentic writing opportunities. I immediately send her an email and I can answer her questions thoroughly.

Yesterday after dropping the kids at the bus, I walk in to find a support teacher with the same level of education and experience I have sitting there with the admin's email. Shes asking me to justify my writing lessons because it's different. Noe shes going to come observe writing tomorrow so we can meet after school and discuss it. Even though my observation is next week in writing. It seems like they dont acknowledge any of my previous experience and they all treat me like I dont know what I'm doing. It's got my stomach all tied up in knots and my anxiety is high all the time.

NJ Teacher

So sorry...
Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In many places, including the district I retired from, the administration seems to want robots all doing the same thing at the same time. After 20 years, you are certainly no newbie, and this is not your first rodeo. You had all the right answers for the principal's inquiry, yet there doesn't seem to be the professional respect and an ability to understand that there are many different ways to reach a standard.

Is the teacher coming to observe a writing coach? I agree that the literacy coaches in my former district, while very nice people, had way less experience than I did and a myopic view of how to teach writing. As a result, my love for teaching literacy diminished because of the district's expectations of how we should be doing the workshops. It became very formulaic with specific materials and a tightly mapped curriculum that at times I didn't feel were developmentally appropriate. My principal had no clue how many wonderful literacy experts I had a chance to meet and learn from through my own professional experiences.

Remember though, you DO know what you are doing. Hopefully, this will be an opportunity for the administration and this teacher to learn from you. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLady2B

Confidence is Key
Old 10-22-2019, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You have been teaching k plenty long enough to know what you are doing. I would answer all questions with confidence. If you have a book or research to support what you are doing, that is even better. I do not do the same stuff as all of the other teachers, as I have different students. I don't even do the exact same thing for each period of the class that I teach. I meet the kiddos where they are, and I assume that is what you are doing, too.
And, explain what a "Support Teacher" is...I do not understand why your Principal could not stand on his own two feet when you told hom what ypu were doing. Oh, I know , it is because you are making sense. So, he turned it over to a "Support Teacher" to deal with.

I am so mad on your behalf.
CatLady2B is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Writing
Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ughh. I HATE when teachers are expected to all do the same. I LOVE teaching writing to Kinders. There are so many fun and effective ways to do it. I'm sorry you're not being respected more.

To be totally honest, if I were you and new to the team + all, I'd probably just go along with it for the first year so as not to rock the boat. But really, you shouldn't have to!
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Perhaps
Old 10-22-2019, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

as a Previous Post suggested you can see this as an opportunity to share additional activities to inspire academic writing. Not all children are engaged by the same activities and differing opportunities are needed to support learning.

If everyone taught the same way, using the same techniques they'd be no need to have different teachers. It's the individual teacher's student interactions through various experiences that lead the children to progress.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Old 10-28-2019, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been in a similar situation a couple of times. I made my own lesson plans following the pacing guide but the administrator called a meeting with all the same course teachers asking why the plans are different. They wanted use to all use the same plan. However, we have different types of students. Smh Definitely no autonomy and micromanagement, which I hate. What I do is just turn in the lesson plan with all our names on it and teach the way I want to teach and use the assignments and activities that I want to use.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote