Help

The VENT

So upset and angry

>

hikinghiker

So upset and angry
Old 11-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

and now even more determined to leave my current school. I've been pretty unhappy with my school just because the culture of favoritism and a whole lot else.

I decided to apply to another district and didn't list my P as a reference, and on work history, said DO NOT contact this work reference. I also had to fill out the sexual abuse thing where it asks me to list the HR of every job that's dealt with children. No biggie. I then also told my grade level chair that I filled out an application and mentioned that I really wasn't looking to change districts until next year.

Well I got called into the principals office today and scolded because she'd been getting reference letters. It started out with her saying that people who leave aren't committed to their kids and usually don't put their full effort into teaching, and that she hopes that's not me, but usually finds that that's what happens. I told her that I was looking to apply to public schools as a resume boost for the upcoming years, but that I wasn't looking to leave mid-year. She said that we were a public school. Which is technically true, but we're listed as a charter, we're just not private.

Then she accused me of mentioning that I was looking into other districts in front of a small PD we had, which I did not, I only mentioned it to my grade level chair and one other teacher who walked in on me when I was answering a call about an interview. I then said that I had no idea that she would be getting reference letters, apologized, and said that I hadn't completely the applications thoroughly and that, had I known she would be getting them, would have warned her as I had with the AP and my mentor (both who I listed as a reference). The P then said that she should have been notified first which I apologized for and said that I hadn't considered that as this was my first job application. That point is definitely fair and I do feel bad about that.

It basically ended with her saying that she was offended, that she didn't respect me, and revealed that other teachers who had found out (likely from the co-teacher or my mentor) had been going to her to gossip about it. When I mentioned being upset at the gossiping, she told me that if I find a school where teachers don't do that, she's like to know.

Well guess who has an interview tomorrow and an interview Friday morning. I promised my P that I wouldn't give less than 60 days notice if I was offered something too good to pass up, but that was before the culmination of the meeting.

SO angry, so upset, feeling even more encouraged to find another job soon.

This is a charter by the way. Contract stipulates that I am at will and must give 30 days notice, but I can be terminated for "any or no reason"

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-13-2019, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Iím so sorry. Iím also jealous that you scored so many interviews. Are you in a hard to fill position? Iíve been applying like crazy and havenít gotten anything.

I donít think you owe them anything. Take a new job and run.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

Greyhoundgirl
Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Very tough area to fill. I live in Las Vegas and have been applying for CCSD jobs, which as of my last check, had about 730 unfilled positions for this current school year.

Some people love my school but I hate it. If I leave, I'd be the third teacher to resign since the end of October. One left for a business position and the other just quit yesterday without even giving two weeks notice.

3leggedtable

Old 11-13-2019, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The contract you signed says that you need to give 30 days notice; don't go above and beyond that number. The principal you have sounds like a head gamer.

Good luck on your interviews.
3leggedtable is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good luck with your upcoming interviews. I hope you get what you are looking for.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-13-2019, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You were under no obligation to let your current principal know that you were applying for another job. Shame on her.

One other thing--your prospective employer could have handled the situation better.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 11-13-2019, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You are smart to get the heck out of there. Good luck!
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

c6g's
Old 11-13-2019, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for telling me that. She had me feeling so guilty since I've never dealt with this before. She said it was unprofessional and that it hurt her feelings that I hadn't contacted her before everyone else. I apologized and said that I hadn't known it was expected to tell the P before anyone else, and that I thought HR would handle the sexual abuse paperwork declaring that I have no history of it, since I assumed HR would be in charge of all that paperwork and I hadn't listed her as a reference or expected her to file any paperwork. Good to know that's not an obligation to tell the P.

I don't really blame the prospective employer either, it's such a large district and that way it seemed was that my P had first been notified by the sexual abuse disclaimer paperwork (which I assumed HR would handle, not the principal?).

BioEducator87

Wow
Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Your principal sounds like a b****. Why should she be upset and angry over a decision that you've made? Why should you have to tell her first? She was just on some kind of ego trip, I wouldn't worry about her. Do what is best for you.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote