One of those unbelievable classes - and not in a good way - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

One of those unbelievable classes - and not in a good way

>

puzzle1mom

One of those unbelievable classes - and not in a good way
Old 11-26-2019, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I had been hearing about this particular group of students for the last few years, but didn't really put a lot of stock in other teachers' opinions as I like to give the benefit of the doubt and start fresh each year. (FYI - I teach 6th grade.) HOWEVER, I can truly say, as a teacher in my 23rd year, I have never had a group like this. They are super low academically (their standardized test scores from fifth grade were atrocious). The girl drama started within the 2nd week of school and most if it is going on over the cell phones at home (they aren't allowed to use them at school), yet the parents are blaming the school.
I also cannot get over how much school these kids miss. I have had more kids moan and groan about every little thing and go to the office to call parents than I ever have before. They travel constantly (we have one going on a cruise next week) and 90% of them CAN NOT afford to miss this much school! We had conferences last month and none of the parents of the kids who are performing poorly showed up (guess that explains it).
I literally had a bunch of students ask me today what a consonant was. (We were doing a logic activity and names that started with consonants were clues to eliminate.)
It is literally a new issue EVERY DAY. I just cannot understand how there are SO many students lumped into one group that are so low academically, apathetic, and unmotivated. This is the first school year EVER that I have been counting down to June since the first week of school.
OK - vent over!!!

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Every few years you get THAT group. No one believes it until they’ve had them and been left shell shocked in their wake. It’s the group that makes you wonder what was in the water (fill in kids’ age) years ago.
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTea

I understand...
Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am in the same boat this year. It is exhausting!
SweetTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

THAT class
Old 11-26-2019, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Funny, my FB came up with a memory from 9 years ago. It was a photo of my tattoo. The class was so unbelievably difficult, I got a tattoo that says “misneach”, which is Gallic for courage. I had the worst class ever. You name the disability, I had it.

There wasn’t enough wine for that year. Last day of school I tore the room down around them as they watched a movie, then walked out the door with them.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My first AP / supervisor always used to say, “Some years of teaching you are leading the children of Israel to The Promised Land and some years you fighting Pharaoh’s army.”

She was a very wise woman.

Room_916 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

"That" class
Old 11-27-2019, 04:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Every few years you get THAT group. No one believes it until they’ve had them and been left shell shocked in their wake. It’s the group that makes you wonder what was in the water (fill in kids’ age) years ago.
My pet theory is that it's being born in stressful times. For this year's 6th graders, it was the recession:

https://www.history.com/topics/21st-century/recession

The 9/11 babies were a really tough class, too.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 11-27-2019, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have a year like that this year. I teach first grade. My class is one of the worst in our pre k to 8 school. They were known to be a difficult class in k. My p moved me to first grade. I always wanted to teach a lower grade and I knew this class was a handful. They are in the top two of being the toughest class in all the classes I’ve taught in 31 years. It’s non stop directions, correcting behavior and so on. I run a good classroom, but I’m exhausted. The second grade teachers are not looking forward to next year. I don’t know what makes some classes better than others.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 11-27-2019, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I thought I had THAT class a few years ago. This year’s class? They’ve quickly taught me that the antics of THAT class were child’s play.

They don’t listen. They’re disrespectful. The list goes on and on...
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

After almost 30 yrs, I HAD
Old 11-28-2019, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

THAT class last yr. Diagnosis's was the norm. I had 2 w/ reactive attachment, ID remember how many ODD, ADD, Autistic, Anxiety and Mood Disorder, but it was over half my class.
I am doing something different this yr. ( Not teaching!) I am happy too!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

That class
Old 11-28-2019, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The silver lining is you'll REALLY like your class next year!

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 11-30-2019, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Lake, I think it's generational. Once the bar is hitting the floor, a warm body is all you need to be a successful parent. I'm not exaggerating. I also remember a time when raising children certain ways was allowed to be criticized. I got called out for not praising single parents. Bad is only a four letter word when it's infront of parent.

BioEducator87

Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had that class every year.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Davies1030

I am in the same boat!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

This year's class is throwing me constant knuckle balls with issues I've never had before. I have one girl who's missed so much school, she is FIFTY-SIX assignments behind. I have no idea how I will catch her up. I have a compulsive liar and drama queen whose parents believe EVERYTHING she says. I have a couple boys who are constantly verbally and physically aggressive. I have several whose home lives are just heartbreaking. Then there's the typical misbehaviors: constant talking, refusal to follow directions, attitude all day long, etc. Mix it all up and throw it into one classroom, and this teacher is TIRED. My husband claims that I say this every year, but this year's group is TOUGH.
Davies1030 is offline   Reply With Quote