Help

The VENT

What a day yesterday

>

snazzyjazzy

What a day yesterday
Old 01-11-2020, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a substitute at one school in my district. My district went back on Tuesday but I couldn't get a job until yesterday. I took a "extra" paraprofessional for pre-k position. The school is looking for a pre-k aide after the previous one had to leave for health reasons. I wasn't sure if I would be doing her job or helping pre-k as a whole.

I get there and am told that I would be working with a pre-k class in the morning and then helping out in the office for the afternoon. I was looking forward to working with this teacher (who is an awesome teacher but very strict). Coincidently, her para is the one who left. I get to her room and see her and her sister (who sometimes works with her class). I find out that the teacher will actually be doing interviews all morning and I will be working with the sister. I think they are twins but Im not 100% sure.

We bring the kids to class and then the two high school helpers come in to "help". We do show and tell with the kids (the entire time she is talking to the 2 high school kids instead of working with the kids). After show and tell, she hands each child a book where they had to color and glue a picture to each page. Then she puts out 3 more papers and tells them that when they are done, they can go play. Of course, about half of the class scribbles through the work to go to centers. The teacher doesn't allow this and will lecture the child and make them do it again. The sister didn't seem to care but I knew that the teacher would get very mad so I had the kids that rushed do it again (most of them did a better job the second time).

About an hour before lunch, the sister starts complaining that her sister is taking too long and she wants her to hurry up. one of the little boys was scratching all over his body and she starts asking the other kids if they have had chicken pox. She asks me to take him to the nurse so he can go home. I take him to the nurse and it wasn't chicken pox but some other childhood virus that was highly contagious but harmless. She gives him a lifesaver. On the way back to class, I told him that he had to save the lifesaver (one of the fruit ones) for after he ate lunch or after school. He agrees and I don't think anything else about it. The teacher comes back about 5 minutes before lunch and he takes it out of his pocket to get ready for lunch. Another child reports him and the teacher tells him to give it to her. He refuses and a power struggle ensues. The teacher tells me to go get help from the office. I go and get help. The counselor comes and I take the rest of the class to lunch. Evidently, all heck broke loose over this candy and he ran away from the counselor several times and hit several adults.
I go to the office after lunch to help out and he is sitting there. I am asked to untangle about 500 lanyard badge holders (we use them for dismissal). He is complaining he wants something to do. His grandmother who works at the school comes up to the office and starts complaining about how she is tired of him getting in trouble. She checks him out and tells the principal that she wants a new teacher for him on Monday since the teacher obviously can't handle him.

After he leaves, we have a power surge due to the high winds and our intercom system gets knocked out. We were expected bad weather last night so parents were checking kids out early. I had to go and get every kid that was getting checked out so I got plenty of exercise. Then I went and handed out "backpacks of love" (weekend food program) to over 100 kids. As soon as I get that done, the principal asks me if I could go cover the prek class because they had more interviews scheduled. When I left, the principal asked me if I wanted the prek aide position because the teacher didn't like anyone that they had interviewed. I told her that I don't know if I could handle 5 months of days like today but I would think about it over the weekend. I was exhausted by the time I left.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-11-2020, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In all fairness it was extra crazy because the regular classroom teacher wasn’t in there and her sister was essentially a sub. Most days will probably be calmer.

On the other hand, I’d be a little concerned that the teacher didn’t like ANY of the candidates. She must be really hard to work with.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Para
Old 01-11-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have a dickens of a time finding decent parapros. It is often a game of get the best you can of the bad that comes in...
My one aide was hired with the understanding that she attends community college and so would only work certain days and times. It was supposed to be a full time piston but she’s the only one who applied. Just found out another aide in the building is going down to a similar schedule for the same reason...and they’re allowing it basically because they can’t find anyone else!

If you like the building and like the teacher, maybe you can ask for a trial run. Sub as an aide with the normal teacher for two weeks before deciding. They obviously like you and the job to do or they would not have asked!
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

At 1st I was thinking, it
Old 01-11-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

might be mellower once the regular teacher is in the room. That could make the job a lot easier for you! Congrats on being the chosen 1 w/out even interviewing!
Then after reading MissESL's post, I started thinking. If the teacher is very strict she may or may not be hard to get along with. It all depends on if you both have the same style. If you do, the 2 of you could have fun together.

The thing I really think is a great idea above is asking if you can do a trial run, subbing for 2 wks to see if it is a good fit. I'd bet after 2 weeks, you'd be able to see if it is the right job for you. Good luck!
1x I got a job I didn't interview for too....lol It is funny how that happens sometimes.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 01-11-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Wow, that poor kid! The school nurse gives him candy, he follows directions not to eat it until lunch, and STILL gets in trouble? And it escalates to the point he gets sent to the office?? He's probably all of 4 years old.

Sounds like you both had a rough day. I'm not sure I'd want to work in that building if things escalate over a lifesaver.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-11-2020, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm confused about the candy. Did you speak up to say he got it from the nurse and he saved it because you told him to? Seems that that would have prevented the escalation.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 01-11-2020, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I don't know that I'd want to work with that teacher. The situation of a pie e of candy escalated to the point of the kid bring in the office?????

However, I would not commit, but offer to do a trial by subbing for 2 weeks. Then make a decision! Of course only if you want to work 5 days a week. Oh wait, apparently you can set your own schedule.🙄
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 01-11-2020, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ya, I can't get past the kid incident, either. Confused!
eliza4one is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

GreyhoundGirl
Old 01-11-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The teacher is older (probably early 60's) and doesn't seem to like change. Her previous para before this one worked with her for almost 10 years. She left at the end of last year and this para was hired at the last minute and I don't think they really ever meshed. She can seem very harsh with her words but I don't let it bother me so I think that i why we get along.

snazzyjazzy

MissESL
Old 01-11-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I "fell" into a para position for 3.5 years. I was subbing for another district and I was working half a day and the teacher next door needed a sub for the afternoon. I agreed and took assignment. She had 2 students on the spectrum and the principal liked how I worked with them. She called one of her friends who had been looking for a para since June (this was Oct) and told her to hire me. I went in and met the principal and ap and started the next day. I loved it but couldn't survive on para pay.

I am a certified teacher and am kind of scared to take a para position and getting "stuck" in the position. I worked with the teacher last year when I subbed for her para so I know I can work with her.

Plus if I sub everyday, I make about $500 more a month but don't get paid during the summer but paras do.

snazzyjazzy

Summerwilcom
Old 01-11-2020, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have worked with the teacher in the past (when I subbed for her para). She can be difficult and doesn't like "strangers" in her room. The pre-k paras are split between two teachers. Whenever she has a sub for her para, she gifts them to the other teacher for the entire day. She likes me because Im a certified teacher and she says I can handle the kids.

snazzyjazzy

Izzy23
Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think the power struggle is what caused the escalation. I didn't know about anything after the power struggle (when I was sent to go get help) until much later in the day. According to his teacher, he is constantly misbehaving and they are trying to get him on a BIP (behavior intervention plan). I have subbed in her class 6 times this year and never had trouble with him.

snazzyjazzy

sevenplus
Old 01-11-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I told the teacher as soon as the power struggle began that he got candy from the nurse. I told the principal about where the candy came from too.

Summerwillcom

Oh, OK I see the $
Old 01-11-2020, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

difference. I just thought maybe you'd get insurance and your foot in the door for a FT teaching job. We lack teacher positions, but need good assistants.
Once assistants are hired in the system, they do get preferential treatment if a position opens somewhere.
Subs do not for some reason. We have had some really good subs who have worked at our school, but never end up w/ teaching jobs. Maybe because they want to be at that school because it is close to where they live. IDK.... However, if an assistant is a teacher, they are really helped by P's passing the word when someone needs a new hire.
I bet she is thankful to have you, as a teacher, in there! It is so hard for teachers to handle some kids nowadays and I know it is much harder on the paras if they haven't had much experience working w/ kids who flip out. We have 2 paras that come into our rooms. They sit down, try to start conversations, and exit quickly if 1 of "their kids" starts acting up.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 01-11-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I guess in retrospect the best choice would have been to let him pop the lifesaver in his mouth as he left the nurse's office. It's not like it was going to spoil his appetite for lunch.

You told them where it came from but did you tell them you told him to save it to have with lunch? My own 4-year-old would have felt very wronged if he was looking forward to a piece of candy (a rare treat for him), he did nothing wrong, and it was taken from him. I doubt he'd hit anyone, but he'd probably cry and carry on. That's a big deal in their little world.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

sevenplus
Old 01-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I told them that he got it from the nurse. He lost the candy because he ran away and hit people. The principal said he can get it on Monday if he has a good morning.

NJ Teacher

Oh boy...
Old 01-12-2020, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I really respect you and the other people who subs. I am retired, and have no desire to do it, ever.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote