Help

The VENT

Don't Feel Like Teaching

>

BioEducator87

Don't Feel Like Teaching
Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do on days when you just don't feel like teaching? Like you don't have the energy to teach or deal with anyone? I always hate when I feel like this and feel bad if I just try to give students work to do, but if I try to teach I'm definitely not engaging and I get really frustrated. What do you all do when (if) you feel this way?

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Not feeling it
Old 01-21-2020, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A lot of open ended center like games when possible. Extra recess. Free time with games, puzzles, etc. chrome books. Anything that kept them engaged and me unengaged.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-21-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We all have days like that. Be kind and forgiving of yourself. Teaching isn't a 9 to 5 desk job and it takes a lot of us. Some days we just don't have it.

I do a lot of partner work activities. I've been known to pop in a "Magic School Bus" and like Keltik, some free time.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I've definitely felt like that
Old 01-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

and I teach kindergarten, where the kids can really only focus on one activity for like 20 minutes before they lose their minds. Like Greyhound suggested, a LOT of partner work, 'learning' games, center time, free time for drawing or tablets for a reward for something that I made up on the spot.

So if they can get to lunch with so-and-so good behavior, I'll tell them that we'll have 30 minutes or an hour of computer lab time or whatever. That was if admin comes in and asks, the kids can say its positive reinforcement for good behavior
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

To me, it depends on what was going to
Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

happen that day and what my options are...

If it is too important to miss or postpone, power through it--"Fake it til you make it..." A lot of times we are faced with things we would rather not do. We can't always change things. Sometimes we dread just starting so once we get started, it gets easier to handle.

If it is super important and I still want to postpone, I will try to guide them in some related but less important tasks--front load some info as to why it is important but save the big task til I feel better...

If it is an ongoing task and/or we are on a concept that has already been introduced/covered, I might ask them to do it independently or in small groups as I "observe" (so I can interact as I please.) Working independently or problem solving together are an important lessons in themselves.

Otherwise, we can try independent study, review or Center-style Choice Time. Sometimes that may be on the computers or be device free--depends on my mood and their behaviors...

Hope you feel better soon.

Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

i-Pads
Old 01-21-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On days like that, I hoped that the I-Pad cart in our wing was available. The kids could use Epic or a science reading program the district subscribed to. We also had IXL they could work on at their level.

I too was known to pop up a video on the SmartBoard or do a fun project. Sometimes, especially around this time of year, the grind got to be too much for both students and teacher.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Honestly sometimes when I feel like that I have the "Fake it to you make it" strategy. I will try to "fake" like I am ready and sometimes it does help me be ready. Other times it doesn't work and I try the strategies that the other posters stated.
NoKetchup is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I try to do an activity the kids will really like, and that I'll enjoy doing--like a fun learning game. I hate the days when I'm slogging through material just to get through it!

Another idea: take a mental health day!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

ELA-Scholastic News

Math-unforgiving pacing guide so I have to just do my best

Science-Mystery Science lessons/videos and or Generation genius videos and Kahoots (district pays for one parent donations cover the second
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

When you don't feel like teaching
Old 01-21-2020, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I take my kinders outside for a nature walk and to see the cows. (Paddock at the back of the school.) We take clipboards and papers and sketch the trees, clouds or animals. Many kids choose to write about what they see. I chill and admire their drawings. It's a good reset for me and for them

Last edited by ElizabethJoy; 01-22-2020 at 08:01 PM..
ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote