Help

The VENT

Janitor Doesn't Clean Room!!

>

BioEducator87

Janitor Doesn't Clean Room!!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How often does the janitor clean (sweep, mop) your room? My janitor never cleans my room, however, when I get to school early in the morning I see him sweeping and mopping other people's classrooms. I sweep my room myself daily. I have to actually ask him to mop my room or it will stay filthy for weeks/months at a time. I addressed my concerns with my administration last year and nothing was done until I went to the superintendent. But then the principal got mad because I went over them. I'm so sick of it.

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 01-30-2020, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've definitely seen a decline in cleaning over the years. Rooms where I sub used to be swept daily, and now they just come around and empty the trash. I assumed they don't have as many janitors as they used to.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 01-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I addressed my concerns with my administration last year and nothing was done until I went to the superintendent. But then the principal got mad because I went over them.
Oh yes, going to the superintendent over your P will bite you every time.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-30-2020, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mine gets vacuumed daily, and mopped when needed (every Friday when they paint, and sometimes in between). Trash is taken out daily.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 01-30-2020, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Swept and trash dumped daily, rug vacuumed as needed, but it's only mopped over the summer.

TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We had a person who was responsible only for rooms with carpet and for day-to-day fix-it types of things. I can't remember her official title, but it wasn't janitor. We also had a room cleaner who was supposed to come in and clean the rooms that didn't have carpet (most of them). She never did much of anything at all. Half-assed sweeping *very* occasionally and she usually took the trash. I made the huge error my first year there of asking the head administrative assistant what the cleaner was supposed to be doing. She wanted to know why, and I explained. Turns out the room cleaner was her sister. It took me a long time to build rapport with them both after that. I was also the outlier in the school in terms of race/ethnicity and I grew up in a different state, so I had many barriers from the beginning. That woman ran the school, so this faux pas really set me back.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

tchrrx

Old 01-30-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our janitor doesn't come in our rooms unless we need a repair done. We are in charge of emptying the trashcans, vacuuming, and whatever else needs to be done.
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 01-30-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm fortunate in my current job in that we have great janitors - and enough that they are able to clean regularly. I have carpet in my room and the janitors will vacuum every day if I stack chairs every day. I'm sure that halls are mopped daily. They are always spotless.

I know that many districts have had to cut janitorial staff due to budget constraints. If your janitor is cleaning other people's rooms, though, and not yours, you may have committed one of the gravest errors in teaching. Never, ever pi$$ off your janitor. He or she can help you out in so many ways but can also make your life very inconvenient. Is it possible that the people who get their floors cleaned do a better job of getting clutter out of the way? Sometimes that's a factor.

And yeah, going over your principal's head to the superintendent is rarely a good idea, either.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mine is the worst too! He does very little yet he is on site, on his phone, getting paid till his shift ends at 9pm.

Mopped-once in the summer only.

Carpets cleaned-supposed to be every year...my room and several others have been "missed" several summers in a row.

Vacuumed-3 times a week

Wiping out window sills, removing cobwebs/dead flies, cleaning windows, cleaning sink-Never unless I do it myself.

Watching youtube in the staff lounge, at the office managers desk, or in the VP's office with the door closed...yeah there's time for that every day
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 01-30-2020, 10:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Vacuumed & hard floors wet mopped - Daily
Desks wiped down (if clear) - daily
Carpets shampooed - twice a year
Deep clean - four times a year.

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-31-2020, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
I've definitely seen a decline in cleaning over the years. Rooms where I sub used to be swept daily, and now they just come around and empty the trash. I assumed they don't have as many janitors as they used to.
This is what they have done in the district where I live and sub. They have three levels; maintenance - district based they fix things, custodian - building based they clear the snow from the sidewalks (maintenance clears from parking lots and driveways), sweeps the inside of the school after students arrive, helps with lunch in cafe, cleans up puke after lunch, and cleaners - building based empty the trash and sweep the floors once school is over.

Pay rates for the cleaners are $10.00/hour. Home Depot and Lowe's pay more so with both stores in the district it is difficult to get cleaners. If a cleaner is sick they have no substitute and the trash cans are emptied in the morning by the custodian unless there is snow to be cleared and then they don't get emptied.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 01-31-2020, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We have 2 day custodians and they're county employees. They are amazing at keeping the cafeteria clean before and after breakfast and lunch, and taking care of clean ups during the day (vomit, bathroom mishaps, spills in the hallway, etc.).

We have 3 night crew custodians that are contracted by the county through a private cleaning service. They don't do jack. They barely empty trash, sweep, and clean toilets. Forget about them dusting, THOROUGHLY cleaning bathrooms, relaoding paper towels and TP, and more.

I set "traps" bc our principal asked us to let her know if things weren't clean. This just got some of the night crew transfered and worse ones were moved to our school.
This crew is currently pi$$y bc we have stomach crap and the flu in our building, and they've been threatened with losing their jobs if they don't DO their job. We'll see.
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Mine is okay--
Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have more space than the average teacher. He daily empties the trash in the main work areas. He sweeps and vacuums rugs every day. He mops once a week and sometimes more if I need it.

During cold and flu season, they all wipe down common areas and all doorknobs, door jambs, light switches, and sanitizer dispensers.

He is not always super thorough but I can tell when he is there and when he isn't.

Building and campus-wide, they're pretty good to get a sub. If they won't have a sub, admin will announce that fact so teachers will make sure their rooms are tidier than usual and the trash cans are readily visible so the other cleaners can easily pop in and grab it.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

pitachips

Build a good rapport....
Old 02-01-2020, 04:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

.....with your janitors at all possible. Same with the secretaries at your school, which is the advice I give all the student teachers that I mentor.

Our district is looking to outsource janitorial work to an outside company in order to save money, however, those that have their jobs currently will not lose them, but they will also not be replaced when they retire.

We currently have seven for our building of 1500. The guy that does our wing is amazing, he always makes sure our paper towel dispensers our filled (I teach in a science lab), and we've worked out a system where if I leave the stools down, he wipes down the lab tops. When the stools are all up, he sweeps the floor.

He is better than my last janitor, who half the time would be reprimanded for playing on the computers instead of doing his job.

I do worry about the outsourcing, though. With the budget issues in this county, I wouldn't be surprised if they make it part of the teacher contracts that we will soon be responsible for cleaning our own rooms and buying our own cleaning supplies.
pitachips is offline   Reply With Quote