Help

The VENT

Am I being too sensitive?

>

snazzyjazzy

Am I being too sensitive?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a substitute that works at one school almost everyday. There is a little boy in pre-k that is being tested for Special Education that has severe behavior outbursts (examples: last Thursday, he hit two students last week (hard enough to leave a bruise on both), then laid down on the floor and started hitting his head on the floor). He also bites, hits, scratches, etc). This little boy really likes me and I can usually get him to comply (which the teacher and para struggle with). Admin has had me help several times with deesculation for this child.
I am subbing for another pre-k teacher for 4 days and his teacher texted me to see if I was available yesterday. I told her I wasn't but the entire way to school, I worried about this child. I get to school and am on the way to the office when I hear the 3 admins discussing how they were going to split the teacher's class. They see me and ask who I'm subbing for and I tell them the teacher's name. The principal tells me that they are going to move me to the other teacher's class. I ask who was going to the classroom that I was supposed to be in for 4 days. The principal asked if I would be willing to take the little boy for the day. I told her sure. I asked who would be taking the other class and the principal told me it was a new sub. The teacher texted me to ask who her sub was and I told her that it was a new sub and that I had her friend. The little boy did really good except for the last 15 minutes of the day. The principal and ap thanked me at the end of the day and commented that he only had 2 behavior calls (1 was because he wanted to do a particular station and I had to get more supplies and the second was at the end of the day (the specials teacher put him back in his class line instead of mine so he got upset). He usually averages 10 calls a day.

This morning, he came in and threw a fit on the way to the cafeteria. He saw me and came straight to me, got breakfast and sat down at my table. I spoke with him and told him that he was going back to class with his teacher today. He went to his class. After breakfast, he came to my room and told me he was ready for the day and came in and tried to start unpacking his backpack. The para came in and tried to get him but he refused to go. She made a comment that I shouldnt have taken him yesterday because now he confused. The teacher came in and made a similar comment that since I took him yesterday, their day today was going to be very difficult. At lunch, I found out from an admin that they had both complained about me taking him. I was following admin's orders (when I took him) but was suprised when they complained.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Basically--don't worry about it. It was not your decision. Administrators asked and you did as directed.

If teacher or para complains to you, you can simply say that you hope that the day goes well for all of them. And when the child came to you today after breakfast, it would have be helpful for you to remind him about your conversation earlier--that he was going to be with his own teacher today. It was wise of you to mention that when you first saw him, but he apparently either didn't accept it or didn't remember.

I hope all went well.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Old 02-05-2020, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If there is a next time, when they complain, refer them to admin. Im just following ____s orders so please take it up with them. Smile sweetly and go on with your day.
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 02-06-2020, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Don't worry about it. They gave you their professional opinion, which isn't inaccurate. They raised their concerns to the administration who was the one to make the decision to move the child for the day. They have every right to explain their position to admin.

I was actually surprised the admin asked you to take him since it does disrupt the child's schedule. You did nothing wrong here. If they comment again, just let them know that you were asked to do so but you can also see their side of it. But going forward you will still do what the administrator requests since he is your boss.

whiteturtle

Old 02-08-2020, 05:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with everyone else here. This is not your fault. They were not very nice saying this to you. Good for you that this child does well with you! That says a lot about you!

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote