Help

The VENT

A super long day

>

snazzyjazzy

A super long day
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today was super crazy starting at 2 am and I'm so tired. My cat is very vocal and he is grieving the loss of my other cat. He woke me up at 2 am meowing and wouldn't stop until after 3 am. I could not go back to sleep. I finally get up and start getting ready for my day. I work at one school as a substitute teacher and was super excited for my class today. I have subbed for this teacher for 3 years and have always enjoyed her classes. As I'm getting ready, my phone keeps getting text messages from teachers looking for subs. I keep replying that I am booked. One is from a prek teacher (who takes a lot of time off) and she has a very difficult class.

I get to school at 7:30 (school starts at 8:10) and ask if the pre-k teacher had a sub (admin will pull strong subs from "good" classes and put them in more difficult classes). The ap tells me that she doesnt but they are calling subs in. I go and get coffee at 7:45 and walk by admin again (they greet students every morning). The ap told me they were still looking for a sub. I asked if they were planning on shuffling subs around and she said no. I get back to my classroom and the teacher was there so we went over lesson plans and caught up a little.
I commented on how detailed her lesson plans were. She commented that her plans are detailed in case they pull her preferred sub.
At 8:07 (kids are supposed to arrive in 3 minutes), we hear an all call for the math alt to come to the office. The teacher and I look at each other and I told the teacher that the math alt would probably be covering the prek class. At 8:10 as kids are about to come in, the intercom comes on and the ap tells me that they are moving me to pre-k and the math alt would be teaching my 4th grade class.
I hurry across campus and get to the prek room and find out there are 8 kids already and no lesson plans nor emergency work. The teacher across the hall gave me 2 worksheets. The shared para came in and I asked her where the work was or the lesson plans and she didnt know. She told me I could do whatever I wanted and the teacher wouldn't care. I had to come up with 6 hrs of activities with no notice and it was very stressful.
I found out that the teacher may not be there tomorrow so I'm preparing myself.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 03-05-2020, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

That's horrible and I'm so sorry. I once fussed at the secretary because she pulled my preferred sub from my class to another one. I mentioned that I wished she'd told me that ahead of time and she had no idea why. I explained that the lady who was supposed to come in knew how my classroom worked, was extremely competent and that if she was in my room I'd have them doing reading groups as regularly scheduled. Someone who came in who hadn't been in my classroom before, didn't know how to do reading groups, or was less in control I'd want to leave backup work in case that wasn't something they felt comfortable with.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pulling subs
Old 03-05-2020, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Can you ask not to go to that particular teachers room? Or, follow cruxian’s tip: get the “good” teacher to go to admin and explain how switching subs makes it difficult.

Also, I would casually mention that pre-k teacher didn’t leave sub plans and since it’s known this class is tricky, you were uncomfortable being there.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

snazzyjazzy
Old 03-05-2020, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm sorry
My Bichon lost his brother (only 6 years old) during the summer. I have had other dogs but not related. Never have I ever experienced the loss one animal can have towards another. My poor guy wailed for hours on end and it just broke my already broken heart. He'd not want to be alone for a second and cling to us as much as he could. I did some research and bought him a "Thunder Shirt" (made for dogs and cats). It helped him so much to calm and feel secure. He'd actually welcome it when I went to put it on him. It took a few months for him to calm back down, and then he would back away when I went to put the shirt on, so he was ready not to wear it any longer. The shirt is meant for anxiety during storms, but they are wrapped like an infant. You don't leave it on them for really long periods. This may help you with your baby.
needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote