Help

The VENT

Always copying the principal

>

mrteacherguy

Always copying the principal
Old 05-06-2020, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone else hate it when parents routinely attach admin to every communication they send you?

I have some parents that are teachers at another school, and every single time they send me an email, such as requesting clarification about an assignment or grades, they always attach the principal to the email as well.

You would think that other teachers would know how it feels, like you're not being respected as a professional who can handle things, but they insist on doing every time.

mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My Thought...
Old 05-06-2020, 01:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Be sure when you respond to the parent, you include the principal's email in your response. I would even begin my response with "Dear Parent and Principal's Name" so they parent knows you are in charge.

I would also be bluntly honest. Something like:

--Stop going into battle for your child. Let him/her fight his/her own battles.

--Your child's grade in this class will improve when he begins to read and follow the directions.

--Stop making excuses for your child. When he turns twenty-five and is still living in your basement playing video games and being unemployable, you will understand what a disservice you have done him/her.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Yes
Old 05-06-2020, 02:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That drives me nuts, too; however, I don't have that as much as when a mom will e-mail me and then CC her husband. It makes me feel like in those old tv shows when the kid would get in trouble and the mom would say, "Just wait until your father comes home". I feel like the mom is copying the dad to get that point across. Do as I want or father will get involved. I'm sure it's more just spouses communicating, but it still drives me nuts. They can communicate with their spouse about the issue in other ways than cc'ing the spouse.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-06-2020, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Well, at least you know that they are sending it to another person. They could bcc and keep you in the dark.

I get copying to your spouse. I don't get adding in the principal, especially when you are a teacher. As a teacher, why would you think the principal has time to read every email each teacher sends or receives.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 05-06-2020, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I also dislike it. It's a power play. They are doing it to show you that they are in charge, and that they'll be following up with the principal if you don't answer their email promptly (or to their liking).

I've found that teacher parents are either the absolute best and most supportive parents, appreciating you and understanding how difficult your job is. Or they're the absolute worst- harsh, rude, and ready for battle over nothing. One end of the spectrum or the other. It's kind of weird.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-06-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yep, and I hate it too! There are some things where copying admin may become necessary for various reasons, but most of the time (such as the situations you describe) it's really not. Thankfully, my current admin, unlike one I've had in the past, handles it really well, and trusts his teachers. I hope that's the case for you!

Quote:
I've found that teacher parents are either the absolute best and most supportive parents, appreciating you and understanding how difficult your job is. Or they're the absolute worst- harsh, rude, and ready for battle over nothing.

I get what you mean! I don't know if I can remember every single "teacher's kid" experience, but I do remember every experience I've had where the parent was a teacher in the building. A couple GREAT experiences, and one really negative experience, and it had almost nothing to do with the kids!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

P doesn't like it either
Old 05-06-2020, 08:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My theory is that the principal is likely also annoyed by getting all these extra, superfluous emails. Principals are busy people and they get tired of dealing with routine emails. They get VERY tired of having to take time to read all the emails that have absolutely nothing to do with their responsibilities.

I suspect that parents who copy the principal on routine emails are shooting themselves in the foot. If they send a copy on minor stuff, they have nothing left in reserve for when there might actually be an important issue and the principal is already putting them in the annoyance category.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 05-07-2020, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I agree that for parents they are using it as a control issue. I love the idea presented here where it said to address your email "Dear Parent and Principal" That definitely gives you control back.

I also hate when they cc admin. But when that happens, I go talk to my admin and ask them if there are any prior issues with this parent that I need to know about as to why they are ccing them or to let them know that it's all good- Ive got it and will be responding as well.
FLteachESE is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 05-07-2020, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That is really annoying. I would copy your principal on every response that you send back to those parents.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

I have taught all of my life about
Old 05-07-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

and never had a parent do that! That is a power play!
Maybe they did BCC and I just don't know.
However we have a couple of bat _ teachers who do it constantly. I bet the P is def sick of getting crap in his box that should be resolved/ discussed between grown adult teachers . I actually know he is sick of it. He has pretty much told me that!

Summerwillcom is online now   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

The dad thing
Old 05-08-2020, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

It makes me laugh when the moms cc the dad or mention that they may have to have their husband contact me. Go ahead, he is a person just like you. I talk to dads everyday! Maybe he has more sense...
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote