Help

BusyBoard

Balanced Literacy help

>

snazzyjazzy

Balanced Literacy help
Old 06-08-2020, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can someone please explain balanced literacy in detail to me? I had an interview today and that question was asked along with about 10 others. I already got the rejection email so I'm planning for my next interview. I struggle with interviewing and am trying to prepare. Thanks for the help.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-08-2020, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I always describe it as reading, writing, listening, and speaking, to, with, by and for the student.

Basically making sure the students have ample opportunities to read, write, listen and speak equally.

I go on to explain that I use Daily 5, guided reading, read aloud, and writing time to ensure they have opportunities to engage in all of those activities.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

balanced literacy
Old 06-09-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

is a huge subject. Generally it refers to balancing by using both whole language/guided reading and phonics to instruct reading and writing. Writing is a great place to teach phonics as students sound out words to write. For a quick overview try

https://medium.com/inspired-ideas-pr...h-4e6556ccb19a

and the associated links.

You may want to find out which reading program the district or school where you are interviewing uses and look it up on line--publisher's websites can be very informative.

You might search the Reading Wars to get information on each approach. It used to be one approach or the other and now many seek to combine both to develop a full range of skills for students to use.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote