Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Landscaping Question

>

Youthcantknow

Landscaping Question
Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 AM

I don't have a particularly large front yard but the landscaping is awful. Can anyone give me even the slightest idea how much drawing up a plan and adding some flowers/bushes/mulch might cost? I know prices vary wildly across the U.S. but since I don't have a clue I could use any first-hand knowledge you can share.

Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Landscaping
Old 07-07-2020, 12:31 PM

About two years ago we had the little bit of grass that we had pulled up. The landscaper replaced it with rocks, several plants, a couple of larger rocks and mulch. I think the materials were about $1700. I live in southern California where we are super water concious so that's why the rocks. It does make it quite a bit hotter, you can really feel the difference in the summer. The back yard still has grass and it's not as hot as the front yard. If I can figure out how to attach a photo...

Hope it helps!
Dee
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Tulips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tulips

Landscape
Old 07-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Photo #2
The other side of the yard
Attachment

Tulips

Landscape...
Old 07-07-2020, 12:34 PM

Photo #3...
All of the plants have grown up, the lantana is huge and pretty. A couple of things have died, wrong placement and were looking for new plants.
Attachment

RetiredKat

Tulip...
Old 07-07-2020, 01:12 PM

What a beautiful job. The placement of the different kinds of rocks is a clever way to add design and variety.

I need inspiration too but it will need to wait until next year. I'm still paying off last year's inside renovations. The fact that I procrastinate has nothing to do with it.

RetiredKat is online now   Reply With Quote

overthemoon

Old 07-07-2020, 04:03 PM

When I got ready to redo my front garden, we had the old overgrown bushes removed. Then, I drew a picture of the front of our house (just a basic rectangle with windows and a door, nothing fancy) and garden area and took it with me to a garden center. The man that ran the place was very helpful. I told him I was looking for some bushes that would not require a lot of trimming and would be slow growing. He asked about sun/shade and then told me what he would recommend. He gave suggestions for where he would place each bush or if I should get 2 of something and how it should be spaced.He charged nothing for this service and I ended up being very pleased with the things we bought. So, if you have a local garden center, you might try asking there for some guidance. They can be very helpful.
overthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

landscaping
Old 07-08-2020, 05:17 AM

Your yard looks really nice, Tulips. Living in the NE, water isn't much of an issue for us. There's enough thunderstorms that we only have to water plants a few days a week.
We've got some garden centers around here and I hadn't considered asking them. Thanks for the suggestion, overthemoon. One side of my yard wouldn't be too challenging for me but the other side.....
Youthcantknow is online now   Reply With Quote

Patticake1300

Old 07-08-2020, 01:18 PM

Check with local nurseries. I just did this. The one I used had a designer draw up the plans and then you had to plant the plants yourself. The actual design was free. I had to take some measurements and photos of the area. We just finished up and it looks beautiful! Saved a lot of money doing it ourselves and the plants/shrubs look beautiful!
Patticake1300 is offline   Reply With Quote