Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Today - LIVID

>

BioAdoptMom3

Today - LIVID
Old 07-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How could anyone be so cruel and uncaring as our governor, who today completely cut our budget for online school, in the middle of a pandemic, with us (FL) as the current global epicenter for Covid! He is flipping crazy!!!!!

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-13-2020, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I just read that and it's insane! The world has truly gone mad. I hope we all somehow survive this.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Risa

Poor leadership
Old 07-13-2020, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Your governor has only seemed to want to please President Trump regardless of what is happening with Covid in your state and regardless of what his constituents are seeking from him. I'm so sorry to see that your state's illnesses and deaths have been shooting up so steadily without any known corrective measures in sight. I sure hope the voting public is taking note for the next election! You have every right to be livid!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-13-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Public schools ,low income American families and teacher unions are on the far right list for destruction. It's time to throw that crazy governor out.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

g8rFan

DeSantis
Old 07-13-2020, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

He is an absolute ridiculous jerk in so many ways. I live in Florida and I just cannot believe the lack of leadership. He's a Trumpette all the way. We are spiking out of control but if you listen to his briefings, everything is daisies and roses. So awful.

g8rFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Florida
Old 07-13-2020, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am so sorry you, the intelligent, caring person, has to put up with this a#*hat.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 07-13-2020, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry. I just don't know how you all live with that. It's so wrong.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 07-13-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Truly clueless!

I'm so sorry!
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-13-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh Nancy, Iím so sorry for you and your fellow thoughtful Floridians. What an asshat he is.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

jjwires

The word livid
Old 07-13-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A former student of mine is teaching now. Her two year old (in May) was upset that a tractor wasn't outside of a barn that they pass going to their grandparents house. He lifted his hands & said, "I'm livid!" I know you're upset & rightfully so,but I couldn't resist injecting a bit of humor to brighten your day!

jjwires is online now   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-13-2020, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm confused . . .Is the governor not giving parents the options . . .home school or in school? Or is he not funding the virtual learning part of it? What do the homeschoolers do ? If he is not funding the virtual part wouldn't the parents be complaining and putting an enormous amount of pressure on him???? Does that mean the public charter schools are also cut because in my state charter schools have an enormous amount of flexibility which include virtual learning. California Virtual Learning is a state of the art public charter school and parents would be livid if the funds were pulled.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I just got off the phone with my Jacksonville relatives who are definitely in Denial-Land! They have been living their normal lives since the Covid crisis began with house parties, vacations, and absolutely no precautions at all. They told me I was the crazy one.

I thought their attitudes and behavior would change with the huge increase in positives tests, hospitalizations, and deaths there last week. Nope! They tell me the positive numbers are exaggerated. Honestly, I give up!
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2020, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am not anywhere near a fan of our governor. However...

I’m in Florida too, this actually happened about two weeks ago. But, honestly this program he cut is not something that I have ever even heard of...

We have FLVS (FL Virtual School) which is fully accredited and available statewide. It’s an amazing, robust program.

Most districts, including mine, also have their own online school with its own dedicated teachers.

This funding cut doesn’t apply to either of the schools I just referenced above. My district’s virtual school is interviewing dozens of teachers a day to try to get enough staff to fill the demand for this school year.

(Reading up on it a little more than I did a few weeks ago it appears as it’s online library databases used in higher education but not something utilized in K-12)
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

No, he is a Republican with his head up
Old 07-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

you-know-who's butt, trying to curry favor at the expense of human lives, just like his master. This is not just a disgrace. It is a crime against humanity. These people will not be happy until their states look like a scene from Europe during the 14th Century Black Death.

Also heard yesterday that Orange County, CA, was planning to open schools without precautions, masks, or social distancing. This as Gov. Newsom recloses all indoor spaces in California. Such radicals in OC! They must be very proud of themselves.

Also, remember that witch, Betsy Devos, who is actively channeling COVID relief funds to private schools, which only highlights what her plan has been all along, i.e., to destroy public education.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 07-14-2020, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am scared to see what Florida, Orange County, and other states with astronomically high numbers with no leadership become once they do go back to school. I hope we donít hear that 83 children got the virus and 10 teachers died. I fear things could look like that.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-14-2020, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Jazzer- I donít disagree. Iím in Orange County and teachers are, as of now, being given no choices.

The district finally released that 18 employees tested positive in the past few weeks- and this is while campuses only have extremely minimal people on camps right now.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Old 07-14-2020, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Our district I was told lost 600 students last year in March -April during the shut down (mostly middle-high ) to virtual learning schools that have mastered on line instruction. (we have a tiny district) Our union leader along with other reps in our county (democrats) are worried that many more students will leave public face to face schools for public virtual schools with greater organization, flexibility, instruction, and experience with on line programs. Many offer 1 on 1 instruction along with tutoring. No one is saying that ALL schools need to reopen or open without precautions but my honest feeling is that public schools in the most needed areas have their work cut out for them with virtual learning. Public Schools have mastered face to face teaching and are the best but many districts will have to compete with public virtual schools that have mastered on line. Many public charter schools fall under this as well.

Maybe thats why there is an immediate plan for the larger school districts who are going virtual to move to face to face as soon as possible. If I had a struggling middle or high schooler I would research and consider a more experienced virtual learning program that targeted individual needs if I had to participate in this type of instruction too. I'm hoping that things will improve as the summer progresses. I do feel your pain.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote