Help

Math & Science

math workshop

>

BRONX

math workshop
Old 02-09-2011, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We use envisions in my 5th grade class and I am finding that some of my students fly through it and others need so much support. I would love to start a more individualized math period for my students. Does anyone individualize and if so how is it working?

BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote

mtneer83

math wkshop
Old 02-09-2011, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi, I work in a middle school... grades 5-8. I teach math and science. My partner teaches lang. arts & social studies. What has been happening in grades 5 & 6 is that when the children go to specials ( exploratories we call them), one is removed... ( not gym.. state mandated) and the teacher teaches a math exploratory, writing exploritory.... so they basically are giving up a prep period a couple of times a week.

I do not do it... I teach a block of reg. ed and special ed.... so with the special ed. progress monitoring and paperwork, I just can't. Those who do say it's a lot of work... and they think it is making a difference.

Good luck.
mtneer83 is offline   Reply With Quote

BRONX

In Class
Old 02-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

mtneer83's

I was thinking more during my math period. Teaching a mini-lesson, sharing examples and off you go with a few more challenging problem solving problems at the end. I can work with my struggling students and my other students can be challenged. Not sure if I am overlooking something. Maybe adding a few math games?
BRONX is offline   Reply With Quote