Help

Math & Science

Differentiated Lesson for Pi?

>

mozybones

Differentiated Lesson for Pi?
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm being observed by my superintendent on Pi Day and would like to show a differentiated lesson with my 6th graders. I've read all of the many activities but how do I tier them into academic activities as opposed to the "fun stuff" - like beaded necklaces, eating pie, etc.? I really want to show math substance.

mozybones is offline   Reply With Quote

curlygirl2

You could have them do
Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

the lesson where you have all diff types of circles of varying sizes and then the kids measure (with string) the diameter and circumference... for the high kids, you have them notice the relationship between the 2... and explain why and then for the lower kids you can give them the multiplicative relationship and have them try to explain what that tells them about all circles... I use a hula hoop, down to a little ketchup cap... it's fun.
curlygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

acorngirl

To piggyback on curlygirl
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You could even have some circles that already have the measurements on them (maybe premake some circles that can make the math really easy on a calculator...I'm sure you can google some diameter/circumference ratios to get pi easily.

You could also have the kids draw their own circles and then determine the circ. and diameter on their own (and they could be 'tested' by a partner).

And, if you want all to do the same measurements, you could have a 'mark' on the circles for those who have difficulty finding the diameter (that's another way to differentiate). and for those who need it, point it out...for those who don't, dont worry about it.

Good luck!!
acorngirl is offline   Reply With Quote