Help

Math & Science

mini science fair

>

sportznut

mini science fair
Old 03-19-2011, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for some fun end of the year science ideas! I have 6 weeks from the end of state testing until the end of the school year. As all our units had to be taught before state testing, I really need some engaging ideas to keep my students motivated! Has anyone ever tried a mini in class science fair? I was thinking about providing my students with testable questions (draw out of hat) and they would have to take it through the entire scientific process. I would like to do this during class time, and have the experiments only take 1-2 days. The rest of the time they would use to make posters showing their hypothesis, procedures, data, results/conclusion. I would also like to have minimal supplies needed for each experiment due to my budget. If anyone has tried this before and has some good tips on how this can be done successfully, I would appreciate it! Also, if anyone has good ideas for testable questions that can be experimented on in 1-2 days, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks!
Any other fun science activities ideas would be welcome!

sportznut is offline   Reply With Quote

anon for now

anon for now

Science Fair info
Old 03-22-2011, 11:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Congrats to you for wanting to attempt this! What grade are you students?
My school has a school Science Fair in which all students grades 5 - 8 participate and then we have a county Science Fair tht is hosted at our school.

The students choose a topic and then conduct research and record results. In addition to their presentation, they are required to write a research paper and complete a "board" (Large trifold board purchased at Michaels, Joannes, etc.

This is a great experience for them and they learn so much through this process. Maybe you want to do something like this since you have a long time frame to work. Our kiddos have about 4 weeks inwhich to complete all the components of their project.

skylights

Science Pizza Fair
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can do a mini-fair by providing a selection of materials to students and telling them to design an experiment that they can do with any of the materials provided. Materials: straws, balloons, metal washers, plastic cups, salt, sugar, rubber bands, paper clips, string, foil, batteries, etc. Make available any equipment you have such as thermometers and stop watches. You will also need a clean pizza box for each group (you may be able to get these donated).
Students will record all parts of the experimental process onto colorful squares of paper or index cards and glue them inside the pizza box which serves as a display board. They can then present their data and conclusions to the class. This is challenging to students who have no inquiry experience so you may need to go through the process with them first using a hypothesis you plan ahead of time.
skylights is offline   Reply With Quote