Help

Math & Science

Good science resource books

>

turelie

Good science resource books
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey, I'm just a sub but someday I want my own classroom. I've been building up on some resource books for just my general reading and having them on hand for my future classroom.

I love teaching science. When I did my student teaching, the kids would constantly ask when I would do a science lesson again (since we switched weeks with social studies).

I've been searching high and low for a good science resource book - a book with experiments, tips and tricks on how to make science fun, etc. I would really like to find one for the primary grades (K-3). Some of the books I've found have experiments but they are geared towards 4-6.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I really can't seem to find a good science book.

turelie is offline   Reply With Quote

sabal

NSTA publications
Old 02-23-2011, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think you would really enjoy the Picture Perfect Science Lessons series put out by NSTA. There is one geared towards K-3 and the other is 3-6...but easily adaptable for lower grades. Each lesson incorporate the 5E model, children's literature (pictures books) and one or two hands on activities. Also, AIMS Education has a bunch of very good resource books.
sabal is offline   Reply With Quote

turelie

Thank you!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I looked up the Picture Perfect books on amazon.com and they look right up my alley! I'm going to see if I can find cheaper versions of the books, though.

I found AIMS education via google and that is a pretty awesome website. I'm even more excited to see that they have books/CDs geared towards my state's standards. Granted, they are $70 per strand so I'll probably keep that on my favorites list to go back to one day when I'm rich. (I also like that AIMS has a good selection of math activities to choose from.)

Thank you so much!
turelie is offline   Reply With Quote

gradeteacher

Old 02-24-2011, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

AIMS books are hands down the best. Try ordering them as an interlibrary loan from your local library. I did that this summer and gathered some wonderful ideas for science lessons.
gradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote