Help

Math & Science

Curriculum Help! :)

>

sciencenerd17

Curriculum Help! :)
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade and we are feeling like we are not covering the right things in Science. We were given the standard by our district and then given very vague topics to teach. I was hoping to try and tighten it up a little bit so that the kids are benefiting, and I was just wondering what units other 4th grade teachers teach throughout the year. Thank you in advance for taking the time to respond to this.

sciencenerd17 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

science units
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've taught 4th grade in a couple of different schools, so here were some of the units done:

Electricity -- the students built circuits and also studied static electricity.

Bats - students studied adaptations

States of Matter - students learned the 3 common states and their properties and that matter is made of molecules.

Water Cycle - students learned the stages in the water cycle, and that it's all powered by the sun's energy; can also incorporate human effect on the environment talking about water pollution and acid rain

Classification - classification of animals and plants; also how scientists classify things (I had mine learn about dichotomous keys and classify screws and bolts)

Inventions and Society - I incorporated this with our social studies unit on the middle ages; we studied castles, armor, and weapons and talked about how one invention led to another because each side in a war had to try to "one-up" or outsmart its enemies

Germs and Diseases - focused mostly on disease prevention, i.e. vaccines and handwashing

Circulatory System
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote