Help

Bulletin Boards & Classroom Themes

Anyone doing a mythology theme?

>

melonjar

Anyone doing a mythology theme?
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Well, while thinking of my monsters theme, I realized that Common Core requires the teaching of mythology in 4th grade.

How about a mythology theme with Gods/Goddessses or the Mythological Creatures?

Anyone doing a mythology theme? I could use some ideas for bulletin boards, a way to track AR points, behavior etc. Also, I wonder if there are bulletin board sets?

Thanks!

melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

2Teach=2Live

Old 07-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Maybe have a Mt. Olympus board for AR points and they can work their way to the top of the mountain. Or you could use it as a behavior, they could start in the middle and move up if they have an excellent day or move down if they get in trouble.

I would maybe draw some on the Percy Jackson or Heros of Olympus series because they are very big right now and the kids can relate.

You could also use lightening bolts to track behavior, they could get "zapped" each time they get in trouble, and earn a lightening bolt next to their name.
2Teach=2Live is offline   Reply With Quote

melonjar

thank you...
Old 07-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

for the suggestions! It's so hard to get a new theme going when there are no resources out there....time to get creative! Thanks! I love the Mt. Olympus idea!

PollyPolo19

Percy Jackson
Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did mythology with my 4th graders last year and they loved it. I started off the year with the story of Cronos eating his kids then barfing them back up. My kids were hooked. We did some reading about the gods and goddesses to start our reading workshop then had a monthly myth throughout the rest of the year. We even did mythology reader's theater at the end of the year. It was fantastic.

I don't think you're going to find bb sets, but I bet you could find a mountain border (Mt Olympus) or lightning bolts (Zeus). You could read Percy Jackson and set up your room like Camp Half-Blood. Students could be working their way to a "quest" for AR. Behavior could be connected to the areas of the underworld...or that could be really creepy. Scratch that. You could have a bb showing constellations and then read about those characters.
PollyPolo19 is offline   Reply With Quote

melonjar

PollyPolo
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the ideas...I'm reading the first Percy Jackson book now. I love it. I definitely want to read it to allow to my students. I have a mythology unit planned for next spring. I can't wait!

PollyPolo19

Mary Pope Osborne
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mary Pope Osborne has written an easy version of the Odyssey that may help build background and she also has a collection of myths. D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths is also a great resource. That's what I used at the beginning of my unit to introduce the idea of the gods/goddesses (and to hook them with the story of Cronos puking out his kids) and I have several students check it out of the classroom library throughout the year.
PollyPolo19 is offline   Reply With Quote