The VENT

Sleep is my enemy..

>

Idealist1

Idealist1

Sleep is my enemy..
Old 02-14-2013, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don't know why...but everytime I get home from work, I have all these things I plan on doing...but then I get the terrible sensation of going to sleep..I start nodding off. So I say to myself, we'll its 7...I can take a nap and wake up at 1 and start doing my preparation...but no! I fall asleep until 5:30 in the morning. I honestly don't know of I'm just being lazy or if I'm a little off. But it's frustrating that I do this a lot lately which translates to no work being done. I am very worried. I tried coffee and coke, doesn't do it anymore. I went to the doctor and she said I was fine. Any suggestions? Please help!

nyteacher29

Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

this is my night.....come home around 4:30, do about 2 hours of work here and there...by 8 i am winding down and 830 i lay down and either watch a show or sleep. in the profession we are in today, i think it is perfectly normal to be exhausted by 8 especially if we are getting up at 5am! on weekends i try to push it till 10

if the doc said nothing seems to be wrong then i would not worry about it too much.
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach_love

Stress...
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

..too much stress can cause exhaustion.

However, I was curious if you had labs done when you went to the doctor? Sometimes your blood work can reveal issues the Doc might not otherwise see.
teach_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Idealist1

Idealist1

Old 02-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just called the doctor, my lab results say that I'm not anemic, just hormone imbalance of estrogen..which means that I may need to take something for regulating my period...I was told that it doesn't cause exhaustion...sigh.

glaciergirl

Baffling
Old 02-14-2013, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would have said thryoid or blood sugar but if the doctor says you are okay, I don't have a guess.

glaciergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Wait on the hormone thing!

I'm peri-menopausal, and my worse issue was with sleep. I wasn't sleepy when I was supposed to sleep, and I was tired when I should be awake. When I did fall asleep, I didn't sleep well. I was awake often.

It was all related to my estrogen levels. I won't take hormone replacement, but I had to have rest. My solution is melatonin and Benadryl. The Benadryl makes me sleepy and helps with itchy, crawly skin. The melatonin has helped normalize my body clock.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

kbrown

Vitamin D
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have you been outside in the sun at all??? I swear this happens to me all the time in the winter. I can not stay awake, but a few days of sunshine and I am recharged. My sister went to the Dr. for the same thing and they prescribed mega doses of Vitamin D. She was better in a few days. If it has come on gradually, this may be the cause.
kbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

imafive

Old 02-14-2013, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Are you married? Does your husband snore? His snoring will keep you from sleeping, leading to exhaustion.

Are you single? Do you snore? Sleep apnea will leave you feeling exhausted.
imafive is offline   Reply With Quote

Mme Escargot

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Whenever I feel overwhelmed and drowning in things I need to do, I get extremely sleepy. I've decided it's sort of a coping mechanism when I get over-stressed.
Mme Escargot is offline   Reply With Quote

EarthMonkey

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am confused, why would you think that your body is wrong in needing more than six hours sleep a night. Your body is being sensible and telling you you need to sleep more like 10 hours. My advise would be give yourself plenty of sleep.

EarthMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

newoldteacher

I second that!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sleep Apnea is a problem. You may THINK you are sleeping soundly, but in reality...your body never gets to REM sleep. Since having a sleep study and using a CPAP, I rarely get the urge to sleep after I get home. Something to consider...
newoldteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

cdr18

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For me to be productive at night, I have to have about 2 cups of coffee. I have that at about 4:00PM, and by 10:00PM I am tired enough to go to sleep. It is just enough to keep me going through the evening! Perhaps I have a slight addiction to coffee...
cdr18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Idealist1

Idealist1

Thank you
Old 02-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Thank you all for your thoughtful words of wisdom. I feel a bit better now to know that it is okay to feel tired...my main concern is basically being able to be more productive. Maybe I should do a more specfiic to do list rather than: grade papers to make me more efficient and get things done? Does that sound ok?

Thank you all!
MsMartine

MsMartine

me too
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I do the exact same thing...