Help

ARCHIVE

Help! Need ideas for small room

>

dramsi

Help! Need ideas for small room
Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I just found out that my classroom is being moved. I went in to take measurements and pictures. I have approximately 390 square feet to work with and I have at least 21 4th and 5th graders (I teach math and science, so they switch classrooms and I have one grade at a time with 21 each). Keep in mind the desks will be the same size, but the chairs will be bigger and they will need more space behind them. I really like group settings. Do you think this would be possible?? I primarily use the SMARTboard, so it would be helpful for them to be facing in that general direction. I had planned on getting a 5x8 carpet (some on carpet, some on chairs) for Tribe - type meetings (skill building, character education, etc. Something we are lacking and I think the students really could use). I suppose I could try to convince my director to take away my teacher desk . I also have a small 2 drawer filing cabinet that goes into the room to hold math resources and games ... ahhh, I'm feeling claustrophobic already!

Any suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

I have posted a doc with pictures ...

It concerns me because the 2/3 teacher was cramped last year when there were 16 students. (4 groups of 4 desks).

Attached Files
File Type: docx new classroom.docx (427.1 KB, 701 views)

Last edited by dramsi; 07-29-2010 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: forgot something
dramsi is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsCroak

Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

how many desks are in the room as it is? it looks like it could be more than you need. if that is the case, i would immediately see if i could store the extras somewhere else. Then, I would set up my groups. if you are supposed to have 21 students, i would try to keep 22 desks in the event you need someone to move. I think once you have your desks in groups, you will see a big difference.

I have a small classroom as well, and last year had three classes with one being 28 in number...and they were 7th graders so their bodies are big.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

dramsi

Old 07-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are exactly 21 desks in there.

SDT

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think groups will make it look like you have more room. Also, I got rid of my teacher's desk about 10 years ago, and I've never missed it. Give it a try!
SDT is offline   Reply With Quote

dramsi

Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I can easily get a hold of the storage drawer carts and had planned on using an old mailbox to hold papers this year ... do you have any type of surface to keep your computer on or work space? That is my only concern. I am required to stay 1.5 hours after school to work and would need a little something when grading papers.

bookgeek59

Old 07-29-2010, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach the "big kids" too, and have done so in pretty tight spaces. Some ideas that have worked for me:

1- ditch your teacher desk if you can- use a table that you can put some plastic drawer units under to stow all your stuff- your 2 drawer file cabinet may even fit under a table

2- try a U-shape of desks with a few solo seats in the middle of it for those who need to be a little more isolated/in a smaller group

3- or try desk groups of 6, pairs of desks facing each other- that's 3 sets of 6 and a cluster of 3 somewhere else in the room group sits are more open to games and science lab work

4- use walls for storage as much as possible- think of pocket file holders, clear plastic hanging shoe bags, etc.- hang posters on your windows instead of your walls to free up storage room
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

PaulaK

room
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Any chance that using long tables would be more space effective? You could use them at the end of the day for your work also.
PaulaK is offline   Reply With Quote

dramsi

Old 07-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for the ideas bookgeek - I will have to try some of your arrangement suggestions.

Paula K - Unfortunately, we don't have extra tables I could snag for my classroom - I would love those!

MrsCroak

Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

if you go to lakeshorelearning.com and click on free resources, there is a classroom designer. you can type in the dimensions of your room and arrange furniture to see what fits best. if you sign up for an account (free) they will save your creations.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote

dramsi

Old 07-29-2010, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

awesome! Thank you MrsCroak